Friday, August 2, 2013

Island Park...Conclusion

Next day was the river day.

Got our times a little mixed up. We all thought we were going first thing in the morning. So we loaded up the kids, loaded up our bags with drinks and treats and headed down where we dock. Wrong. We had to wait like 3 hours. So we hung around the waters edge for a bit and let the kids just splash around. Here is my baby bug, mid throw, throwing rocks into the water.





We stayed for about an hour or so and let the kids play. Figured they could burn up some energy here, rather than sitting around the cabin for the next couple of hours.




Went back to the cabin for a bit, then loaded up for the second time. No pictures while floating the river though, and its a good thing I don't take that camera, cause we get soaked. Three rafts to hold all of our family. First raft was loaded with a bunch of kids and a couple adults. They glided through the water cause they were a light load and were a good half hour ahead of the rest of us. Our raft and the other lagged behind with more adults. And boy did we have fun. We usually get in one, maybe 2 water fights along the way....not this time. I seriously lost track. They were relentless. My husband being the main problem. He didn't care that Lincoln was bawling his eyes out from it all, he just brought on one water fight after another. Near the end I wanted to kill him. We finally got smart and huddled me and my kids and my cousins little 1 year old beneath a tarp we found in the bottom of the raft. Then my other cousin would hold up a big umbrella on top of that. Kept the kids dry at least. It was exhausting and wet but crazy fun.

Got back pretty late in the day from that and just hung out around the cabin for the rest of that day.

Red, white and blue....4th of July. Fun day to be up there. The town has lots of fun little activites going on, and love seeing those American flags hanging from every shop. Small town, patriotic feel.



Did I mention my mama was there. It was such a special little treat. This is my dads family and as you know my parents are divorced. However, my mom has always stayed so close to the Williams', they love her and she loves them. Thats what is so hard about a divorce, she lost this whole family that meant so much to her. My grandparents and uncles are always reminding her that she is more than welcome to come to everything, they still always wanted her included. So when we found out my dad wasn't coming AT ALL. We jumped on the chance to bring my mom. Loved every minute of having her there. I know it meant alot to her too, getting the chance to be with her kids and grandkids and all of her Williams' family. It was really special, and something I'll never forget. Divorce is hard friends, I can testify to that. I always think to myself, well it happened 16 years ago, you should be used to it. I'm not. Still hurts. You never get over it. I'd give anything to have my family still together, if anything it makes me pretty passionate about my own marriage. That will never happen to me. I would never do that to my spouse, I would never do that to my kids. My mom never had a choice. We were all victims, and to this day, it still hurts.

Headed in to West for a little lunch and shopping for an hour or so. Kids and this popcorn. They love it.


Drake and baby Boston. Drake has been the youngest out of the cousins for over 2 years now. Now comes Boston, and soon to be Caroline (Jenny's baby due in October). I'm not going to lie, it was hard for me to pass that torch. Every day of Drake's little life pulls at my heart. He is still a baby to me. Can't stand that in reality he is not. Little boy now. I need a baby. Can't convince that hubby quite yet. Hopefully soon. My heart is starting to ache for one. Does that feeling ever go away?


We then headed into Yellowstone Park. Just the short loop up to Old Faithful, the longer loops are too much driving for young kids.

Saw a few animals on the way up, not much though.

We always stop in the visitors center, stupid souveniers such as flat pennies. Dumb. My parents used to let me do that when I was a kid, funny to see my boys get a kick out of it now.


And their big old icecream cones. These guys are so boring, chocolate for one, vanilla for the other...I can never talk them into the huckleberry.

My sweet Grandma and Lincoln boy. Hard to see her slowing down, makes me feel very sad. Love her dearly.

Later that night, after we had a quick dinner we headed to some local fireworks. No place to sit down, too many people, my kids were all over the place. Not my favorite firework show. Oh well, can't win em all.



And just like that it was over for another year. Cherish this trip, the family, the memories.
Til next time...

No comments: