Saturday, April 24, 2010

Weaned.....FINALLY!!



I'm free at last. This baby boy is officially weaned, and man alive does it feel good!!! It has been a loooong time coming, and I for one was more than ready to be done. I had cut it out during the day for the most part, but we were still major struggling with nights. It was to the point that he was basically using me as a bink all night long. First of all, he was getting way to old for that and second of all I was getting NO sleep. So we finally buckled down and kicked him off. He did so dang good. Makes me wish I hadn't been so nervous about it all and just cut him off long ago. It helps that his dad is basically his favorite person in life, and he just snuggled right up to him and went to sleep. Thiago would give him a sippy of milk, and then as soon as he finished that, he would just rock him to sleep. Then when he woke up in the middle of the night, Thiago would go get him and put him back to sleep. Most of the time they ended up downstairs on the couch, I knew if he were near me he would just cry to be nursed. It has been a week and a half, and I think he has all but forgotten. He doesn't even act like he remembers what nursing is. Such a relief. I had forgotten how absolutely horrible drying out is, I was pretty miserable for a few days there. However I feel like a new woman now, it feels so great to just have MY body back. I am no longer tied to my little monkey, which when I think about that too much it makes me kinda sad but mostly just glad. It was getting old.




This is just another added benefit. For the past 17 months, I have been the one getting Lincoln to sleep which on most nights means Thiago would get Carson down. They have a routine, they lay down and watch 10 minutes of a movie and then they turn it off and lights out. Thiago always lays by him until he falls asleep, which is usually only about 10 minutes or so. With Thiago being busy with Lincoln, this allowed me to be the one to lay with Carson. I have LOVED it. Although for some reason he doesn't like to watch movies with me, he only likes me to tell him a story. So every night we lay there and make up stories. We laugh, and giggle, and whisper and have the absolute best time. I have loved getting this time with my boy who is growing all too quickly. Win/win for us all.

9 comments:

Clemments Family said...

YAY! It is sad to think about them growing up though. And although I wasn't able to breastfeed, I do know how you feel, we are weaning Lexi from the bottle right now and it sucks. Those pictures are priceless, they make me smile.

Bentleys said...

That is one thing I am not looking for for the next year, I hate breastfeeding but its the best for these kiddies! I think it's harder on us Moms taking things away than it is for the kids!! Love your tender pictures!!!

Eric and Jenny said...

Oh what precious pictures, both of them. Good job Ter, I know how worried you were about the little guy, I am so glad he wasn't too bad for you. Enjoy having yourself just for yourself, I have to say I am kinda jealous, you know how I feel about nursing, but plug along I will...

Delahunty Family said...

That's great! I'm really nervous for the time I have to wean Cassidy, not looking forward to it!

Nick and Stacey said...

Yeah! I am so happy for you! Great pictures, such special moments for everyone involved! I Love those moments of laying in bed with the kids and just talking...it is the best!

Nick and Kandi said...

Oh good! It's good to hear how your weaning went. I'm in the process of weaning Zoey right now too. She's close though. But after 12 months I wanna be done NOW!

Tammy said...

What a good feeling it is to be done. It is nice to switch kids. I love the nights when Steve helps get the kids ready for bed. Most of them time it is just me. Hey, on anthter note. Will you ask Thiago what the name and number of that place is where he took your lawn mower? Steve really wants to check it out. You can just e-mail the info to me if you want.
tammynieder@comcast.net. Thanks Teri!!

Tiff and Chris said...

How exciting to have things falling into place and going smoothly. How sweet to be able to laugh with Carson!

Jill said...

Just talking about it makes me hurt... That is nice of Thiago to help out, glad the little guy is doing O.K. without you!