Memorial Day! Always grateful for the chance we get this day to remember those who have gone on before us, and to be grateful for the legacy they have left behind. I definitely love the fact that the kids don't have school this day and the hubby doesn't have work, I love that we get to be together and have a little fun. However, it is really important to me that my kids know the value of this day. The Sunday before I was talking to my 6 year old primary class about memorial day, and they all stared at me with blank expressions. They were unsure what a cemetary was and why you would go visit one. Kinda made me sad. My kids have grown up visiting cemetaries on Memorial Day and I'm grateful for that. Totally fine with throwing some fun stuff in there, but also believe the day should be centered around our lost loved ones.
Woke up bright and early while my little family was still sleeping to get my salad for our BBQ thrown together.
It was a new recipe I had been anxious to try. Tortellini salad. Got it off one of my favorite blogs. Pasta, tortellini, sundried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, broccoli, parmesan...it had to be good!
Oh and it was...in fact, so good that we are headed to a family birthday celebration in a couple hours and that is what I was told to bring. Yummy!
Got the kids awake and ready for the day. Obligatory porch pictures on a holiday.
We always go to breakfast on Memorial Day with my inlaws. They all chose Golden Corral. Not my fave. Like at all. I thought it was downright nasty. Next year I will need to put my foot down on that one. Never again.
My kids liked it well enough though.
Left my Carsey-boy with his dad for the afternoon, they were meeting up with my brother in law and nephew to go suit shopping. Two little boys are about to turn 8. Which means baptized. Figured they were both ready for that first suit.
Me and my little ones headed up to Logan to meet up with my sweet Gran and my sisters. Hyde Park Cemetary.
Where my sweet Grandpa Olsen is buried. He is my first, and so far only grandparent that has passed away. He died almost 11 years ago. Right before Thiago and I got engaged. Loved him.
And boy do I love this Granny girl. With all my heart. Praying she stays with us for many more years to come. Don't know what I will do without her.
Lincoln and Luke. They claim to be best friends. Trouble 1 and Trouble 2. Watch out!
Drake bug started to get pretty dang tired. And grouchy. Very grouchy.
Headed back home for our traditional BBQ. Us, my inlaws and brother and sis in law, my mom and Dean, Gran, and the Phongsavath's. Good times.
Took a pic of all the food, and one of baby Boston looking like a little old man. And thats it. I was done with the camera for the day.
Good day.
No comments:
Post a Comment