Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Dog Days of Summer

Oh they are certainly among us. Its mid August, and it's HOT! School starts in 3 weeks from today. Yikers!!! Crazy talk. As far as the temps go, I am about done with summer. I am sick of melting everytime I walk out the front door. However, I can't say as I am ready to give up on summer just yet. The easy, breezy, carefree-ness of it all is just so lovely. And will be so hard to say good-bye to. So we carry on. In the icky, sticky, hotness of it all. Summer is going to go out with a bang.
Date night was a few weekends ago. I love date nights. Love them. I so look forward to the time away with just the two of us. So lovely not shoving your food in as fast as you possibly can just so you can get the heck out of there before one of your kids breaks something. So nice to just talk to each other without hearing "mom, dad, Lincoln did this, Carson did this, whats this, who's that, where are we going"...blah, blah, blah. Yeah, I like date night.
Honey even got his car all clean and shiny for us. He sure is particular about this car. Don't remember the Trailblazer ever getting quite so much TLC. We went to Iggy's and then went and saw the new Batman movie. Which I loved. Although, I must say I was definitely freaked out and saddened by the whole Colorado thing. The only positive thing about events like that is watching the good it brings out in other people. There are some real sicko's out in the world and it is disheartening to think about but there is also a whole lot of good out there. Renews your faith in humanity, unites people to be stronger and better. Its good to see in a world as frightening as this one can be.
One thing about summer that I can't get enough of is all the fresh produce. Every Monday I go to a local fruit stand and stock up on my produce. Aww, these raspberries with whole milk and sprinkling of sugar. They were sooo good.
In honor of a traditional summer favorite...graham, chocolate, and marshmellows, I tried a new cookie recipe. S'more cookies. They were pretty good. Really good right out of the oven. Warm and gooey. However, let them sit a few hours and they went kinda hard. I am used to my cookies staying soft and chewy. Kinda disappointing.
My dad got some Ogden Raptors tickets the other night, so he came and picked up Carson and they headed to the baseball game. Carson was feeling pretty dang special and the two of them had a great time together. It meant so much to my little boy and therefor meant alot to me.
Lincoln boy was slightly disappointed that he didn't get to go as well. Lucky for me he is easily distracted and didn't stay sad for long.
We picked us up some Maddox Drive-In the other night and headed to the park as a family. Picnic in the Park.
Fried Chicken, mashed potatoes, baked beans, rolls and cornpones. Pretty tasty.
Ashley and Souli met us there as well and Ash brought some Krispy Kreme's which Linc very much enjoyed. Didn't eat much of his dinner but you can bet he was hungry for doughnuts. Little stink.
After dinner the kids climbed the big rock hill and played on the playground.
And while they did that, I sat on my blanket and stuffed my face with the most delicious piece of peach pie. Oh my, my mouth is watering right now. It was so super yum. We stayed way later than we had planned, but it was so much fun. Kids playing and laughing in the dark, us adults just laying around on the blanket and talking. It was a perfect summer evening. Not to many of those left.
Thiago's Laroca team has been in quite a few tournaments lately and their practices have been in full swing. Lately he has been taking Carson with him. He coaches the 9 year old girls and obviously Cars is only 7. He still takes him. Gives him a chance to train Carson as well and teach him a few tricks and moves. We think Carson enjoys it, I know he gets a little intimidated at times. We let him sit out whenever he wants to, if a particular skill or activity looks like too much, he just sits on the sidelines and watches til he is ready to play again.
Lincoln got lucky this last practice cause Vovo came with and he got to play as well. He was loving it.
I go out every week and work in my flower beds. Takes me a few hours and it is pretty dang hot out there. However, I totally love it. Brings me so much satisfaction.
My geraniums have done so well this year, makes me happy.
The boys come out with me and hang out on a blanket in the shade while I work. They bring out piles of toys and are pretty content the entire time. Except for Drake. He wanders around and moves from one area to the next. That works though. Whatever makes him happy.
All in all, summer is still a hit in this house and has us all smiling.
We'll enjoy it for as long as we can.

3 comments:

The Carnahan's said...

I can't believe that August is halfway over! This summer has gone by so quickly! I'm glad you and Thiago got to go out on a date night. Benton and I were just saying that we needed to do that before our babies come!

Don't you just LOVE Maddox? It seriously is the best, beats KFC hands down. Looks like you guys are enjoying your last bit of summer!

Eric and Jenny said...

Count yourself lucky that Drake is content to just wander your yard. K at that age and who am I kidding at this age as well would be two blocks away making herself at home on someone else's swing set before I caught up with her!

See you in a few here comes the biggest event of the summer according to Lance. The family trip is long forgotten apparantley.

Delahunty Family said...

Your lucky you still have 3 weeks left, out here school starts on Monday! But I guess it makes no difference to me since I don't have kids in school. Have fun your last few weeks!