Friday, February 22, 2008

Language Barrier

Funny story....Thiago and I got a good laugh over this, so we though we'd share it. Carson has a 6-yr old friend across the street, they have become little buddies and play outside together everyday. We were outside in our driveway and all the little ones were playing, Thiago walked out of the house and said goodbye to Carson and I. As he was leaving he told Carson he loved him and to be a good boy, however he said this in Portugese. After Thiago left, our little friend looked at me in astonishment and said "Was that Spanish?" I explained that Carson's dad was from a different country that spoke Portugese and he was teaching it to Carson. The little boy accepted this answer and they continued playing. A little while later, Carson said something to me and the little friend just stared at him. He then looked at me and said "You have got to tell him to speak English, I can't understand anything he is saying." Well, Carson is 2 1/2 and although I can understand everything he says, others cannot. I told Xavier that Carson was speaking English, he is just little so you can't understand everything he says. Xavier then said "Well, I can't understand anything he says, the only thing I understand is when he says mommy or no." I just thought this was hilarious. Little kids have the funniest ways of saying things, I love to see how their little minds work.

4 comments:

Nick said...

I think that is so cool thiago is teaching carson how to speak. Little kids really do say the darndest things. Mitchells latest favorite is " So.....um mom what are we doing here?" It makes me laugh every time.

Eric and Jenny said...

That is so hillarious I am laughing my head. Lance just ran in to see what is so funny. That is so cute it reminds me of The Best Two Years have you ever seen that?

Souli & Ashley said...

I REMEMBER THAT STORY. ITS SO FUNNY BUT I GUESS WHEN YOU ARN'T AROUND HIM ALOT YOU ARN'T SURE WHAT HE'S SAYING I'M MOSTLY JUST COMMENTING TO SEE IF IT WORKS.

Jill said...

That is what my kids always say too. They think it is cool that Carson speaks "Spanish" as they would say!