Friday, June 4, 2010

Trip to the ER!


My poor little sweetheart made his first and hopefully only trip to the ER last night. Our June got off just as peachy as I expected.....with Carson getting sick. Still not sure what he has and how long it is going to last. He started throwing up Tuesday afternoon, over and over and over again. It carried on into Wednesday and Thursday and then the diarhea started. His little cousin has been sick with the same thing, but Carson seems to have got it worse. Thursday he just continually got worse as the day went on, he could not keep anything down. A small sip of sprite would come back up, he was acting so strange....just completely lethargic. No response whatsoever to what we were saying to him. So we took him into WeeCare at 10:00 Thursday night. They were concerned, pretty certain he just has some viral bug but they were worried about dehydration. I tell you, this kid was acting completely out of it. Scared us to death. So we ran him over to Davis to do some labs. Got home at about 11:30, the doctor told us he would call in about 3-4 hours with the results. So we got Carson to bed, I settled in my bed with a book cause I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep until they called. Phone rang at 1:30, telling us his electrolites were dangerously low and to take him in right away to the emergency room. So we did.


Oh boy, he did not enjoy the IV. Luckily he was feeling so out of it, that he didn't fight us they way I am sure he would have liked too. But boy did he cry. Made me cry, how hard is it to hold down your screaming child for doctors to poke and prod at. Horrible. So grateful for my normally healthy child, makes me realized how blessed I am to have healthy kids.


They got the fluid running through him, and he eventually settled down. I took some books and his "Georgie" and blanket from home....and I am so glad I did. He cuddled right up to them, listened to me read Berenstein Bears and fell fast asleep again.


I literally jumped out of my bed, put on whatever I saw and left the house. No makeup, hair not done....so don't mind me in these pictures.



After about two hours of pumping fluid through him, and some medicine to fight his nausea we woke him back up to see how he was. We got him to drink some sprite, which he kept down and he colored right back up. He was still very sleepy, but at least he was responsive and alert now. They let us take him back home, as long as he didn't throw up anymore. He had enough fluid in him for now, but if he started in on all that again they would have to hospitalize him for a few days.


Here he is today....not a 100% but better than he has been. He has had a little bit of an appetite and been able to keep it all down. Now if we could just get rid of the diarrhea...poor kid. He is still incredibly tired from his little ordeal and his tummy is still hurting him, but I am hoping he is on the mend. Don't ya love that sad little smile, Thiago bought him that Star Wars gun as a prize and he was excited about it, just didn't have alot of energy to smile though.


Like I said before, I am so grateful for my healthy kids. I am grateful for my husband and the power of priesthood blessings, I am grateful for promptings that push us in the right directions when it comes to our kids, I am grateful for my inlaws and all of their help and support, and most of all I am grateful for doctors and modern technology. Within hours they had my little boy back on the right track, it is truly amazing to me all that these health care professionals are capable of. So that was our crazy night...not one I want to relive any time soon.

14 comments:

Delahunty Family said...

Poor little guy! I hope he feels better soon, I wonder if it could be something like the swine flu I heard it was supposed to be back this summer. Good luck! I hope everyone else will stay healthy! I know what you mean being thankful for doctors and modern technology Cassidy and I were both in pretty bad shape last year it really makes you gratful!

Jamie said...

How terrible! Poor kid! I am so glad they were able to help and get him hydrated! That is so scary! Hope he gets better soon!!

Clemments Family said...

I read that you guys had to take Carson on Thiago's Facebook. So sad! There is nothing worse than having to hold down your child while they get poked, it just plain sucks. I am still praying for him Teri and hope that he is back to himself real soon. Poor guy!!!

Eric and Jenny said...

Oh my poor little baby, I can't believe he has been so sick. Give him a love and a kiss from me, sure do love you Carsy!

The Carnahan's said...

That's too bad! I'm glad he's doing better, not a fun night for anyone. I agree, it's nice to live during these days with modern medicine, I don't know how they lived before without it!

Rob and Bri said...

Oh my gosh, how scary! It is the worst thing ever when your kids are sick. I absolutely hate it, and he was REALLY sick! I feel so bad that you both had to go through that. Hopefully he will get better soon. Poor guy

Tyler and Lucci said...

We're praying for Carson! What a sweet little boy! I hope you are okay that we are following you (basically stalking) I love that you have tons of pictures! I love Tammy and thought it was hilarious that you guys work together. I have some sweet memories with her. I how we can get together soon!

Souli & Ashley said...

Oh my poor Carson. I was so worried for me. He just did not look good that night. I'm so grateful for all of those things as you mentioned, but mostly the Holy Ghost. He is always there when you need him.

Ashley and Devan said...

Oh poor boy! Having to watch your sick child is the worst. I hope he gets feeling totally better really soon!

Jamie said...

that's not fun! I am glad he is able to come home and hopefully start to feel normal again! I can't imagine not having healthy kids, it really truly is a blessing

Jill said...

I am so sorry little friend... I hope you are feeling better, that is so scary! I love you...

Candace said...

Poor little guy! I hope he is feeling better now, that really stinks! I know the feeling of being at the ER with your babies, totally sucks! But I agree with you on modern medicine, glad we have the knowledge we have to make them better!

Nick and Stacey said...

Poor little guy, although sick, still super cute! i am glad he is getting somewhat back to normal, i cannot even imagine that would be the worst, there is nothing worse that having a sick little boy!

Johnstun Fam said...

Oh poor little man and poor Mom! I can't even imagine how hard it was to see him in so much pain, i got tears just reading about you having to hold him while they put in the IV. You are exactly right, how blessed are we to have such healthy babies. at Fresh Market we just launched our Make A Wish donation charity, some of the stories are so sad. but these kids with these terminal illnesses are so happy, it really is amazing. I am glad he is better!