Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Cousin Rafa


We had a great day today...a special day. Most of you know that Thiago is from Brazil. ALL of his family is still there. He moved to the US with his mom, dad, brother and sister when he was just 8 years old. They left behind his grandparents, great-grandma, aunt, uncle and cousins. Plus lots of extended family. Thiago's dad has just one sister and she is here in the US with her four kids, however they live in Illinois so we don't ever see them. Maria (Thiago's mom) also just has one sibling. A brother and his wife and their three boys. It is crazy to me that Thiago only has 7 first cousins, I have like 50 between my mom and dads side. I have heard so many stories about his family in Brazil and seen pictures, but have never met them. Thiago got the chance to go to Brazil last summer, the first time he had been back in almost 20 years. He got to see all of his family again, but I didn't get to go. Well, his oldest cousin Rafael (Rafa) who is 15 finally got the chance to come here and visit. It is hard for the adults to get approved to visit because they look at them as a flight risk, like they aren't going to come back. Its much easier for kids. Now that Thiago's mom works for Continental, she gets great deals to fly back and forth...this time she brought Rafa with her.




Here we are waiting at the airport for their arrival. Thiago took a half day off work and I pulled Carson out of school a little early so we could all be there. We may as well have been at Lagoon, my kids thought the airport was about the greatest place ever. Especially Lincoln, appearantly they live a sheltered life and don't get out much or something. They ran around like they had never been outside before. Little crazies.


Here is cute Rafa and Thiago. Don't you think they look alike. Thiago looks alot like his uncle so its no wonder. They all say Rafa is like a miniature Thiago, they have the same tempraments and personalities. He really is just such a special kid, he has had to grow up fast. Life is not easy for their family in Brazil and alot of responsibility and stress lays on his shoulders. I am so glad he got the chance to come here and let us spoil him a little.


Lincoln (and his bright red "bug juice" lips) was very unsure of our new cousin, hopefully he will warm up to him.


Carson is already his new best friend...not surprising, Carson loves everyone.



Cute little Rafa. He doesn't have much money of his own, but he spent what he did have on these little airplanes for the boys. He said he wanted them to like him and remember him so he wanted to bring them something special. Doesn't that just tell you what kind of a kid he is.


Our family...why is it that whenever someone takes a picture with my camera they never zoom. Honestly, not that hard. Anyways, sorry its so far away.

After the airport we all went to lunch and then Thiago and the boys went back to his mom's house to spend the afternoon with Rafa.

Which meant I snuck out to finish up my Christmas shopping. An afternoon all to myself, no kids tagging along. It is amazing how much faster you move without them. Yep, it was a good day.

Stay tuned for more pictures of our little friend, we have lots of fun stuff planned and he will be included in it all.

10 comments:

Bentleys said...

Oh my I cried reading this! We are so lucky here in the US and take it all for granted having all of our extended family so close all the time. He looks just like Thiago!! You can see it in his eyes has such a strong kind spirit, hope you spoil him rotten!

Delahunty Family said...

That's awesome, very sweet to by planes for the boys. You never know what your going to get when someone else takes a picture for you, when we were in Florida we had many people taking our picture for us and one guy cut of half of aarons head I mean really, come on. Anyway hope you all have a good time together!

Eric and Jenny said...

He is darling and oh my goodness he could be Thiago's brother, that is crazy how much they look alike. I just can't believe what a special kids he is, I have of course never met him but wow you can just tell he is wonderful. Hopefully I will get to meet him while he is here. I love that he bought the boys planes, what a great kid. This was so special and sweet tell go easy on Theo then next few weeks and let him have a world of fun with his cousin. A once in a lifetime opportunity for both of them I would imagine.

Eric and Jenny said...

Wow that comment makes no sense I need to go to bed, hopefully you know what I was trying to say if not call me tommorow.....

Genn said...

Wow Teri how neat. I learned something new about your family tonight. And yes Rafa does look like Thiago!! A lot. He is so cute. Sounds like a really sweet kid. And that picture of him and Carson is Adorable. That's a framer.
Have a great visit with Rafa!!

TW said...

All I can say is this post touched me like no other. This is truly what this season is all about...family, giving, sharing, loving, sacrificing. I wish we all could have such an experience. Enjoy him and I sure hope you will bring him by to let us meet him, we would love it. Merry Christmas Rafa and welcome to America.

Johnstun Fam said...

That is so exciting! He looks so much like Thiago thats crazy!! I am so glad he gets to be here and there is no doubt that you will make sure he has lots of fun! You are so good at planning fun activities!! Can't wait to read all about it!

Nick and Kandi said...

How cute! That looks like so much fun and Rafa looks so much like Thiago. Hope you have a good time together!

Clemments Family said...

How fun for your family! He seems like an amazing person and he does look alot like Thiago. Have fun!

Shanna said...

what a fun day! family is what its all about. i'm so happy for you guys to have another part of your family here.