Monday, December 6, 2010

Its in the air...

I am big in to traditions......I follow them religiously. I have to drink Martinelli's in fancy cups on New Years. The fourth of July has to include the Layton fireworks even if their are way to many people there. Christmas Eve jammies are a must, for me and the kids. I like to eat ham on Easter, chili on Halloween, and cheese potatos and baked beans on Christmas Eve. That is the way it has always been for me, and it has to stay that way.

The other day my sister and I were talking about our childhood Christmas's. They were the best, the absolute best. My parents made them absolutely magical for us. Sure we loved those presents, but it was all the little things that really made it special for us. Things like walking into "the smell of Christmas", advent calendars, decorating sugar cookies, delivering neighbor gifts, driving around looking at the lights while eating peppermint and eggnog shakes, Amy Grant and Alabama Christmas albums, the candles that were glowing from my bedroom window, mom staying up late wrapping. I could seriously go on and on.....yeah my love for Christmas was instilled young.

Crazy now to be the parent and trying to make sure that this love of Christmas is passed down to my little ones. I want them to feel that special spirit that lingers in the air, I want their month of December to be filled with anticipation, I want to watch their eyes sparkle and shine with every little activity. Christmas isn't so much an event for me but more of a feeling. A feeling of warmth, love, peace...and tradition.


So I have been working hard to make sure their Christmas season is a good one...starting with a few old favorites.


Advent calendars...first thing Cars does every morning is run out to this calendar. Their are Starbursts for Lincoln and Reeses trees for Cars...both of their favorites.


I guess I am a food oriented person...but certain treats for each holiday are a must for me. White covered Oreo's and peppermint icecream are a few of those.


Letters to Santa...along with many trips to see the jolly old man in person.


He wrote this himself....of course we helped him with the spelling. In case you can't tell its says, Dear Santa....handy crane, Wilson, choo-choo train, zoo (I have no idea what he means by that)....Carson.


Christmas ring count down, taped up high....out of Lincoln's reach.


School calendar packed with festive activities.



First trip around town to see the lights. Stopped at Chevron for hot chocolate for me and Thiago and a KitKat for Carson (Lincoln was already sound asleep).




Christmas movie night...featured movie was "The Santa Clause". An old favorite.


And introducing a new tradition....Elf on the Shelf. We had to follow suit with the other million of you out there and get ourselves one of these.


His name is Buddy, and we love him. Especially Carson. He hates saying goodnight to him each night and sending him off to the North Pole. If it were up to Carson his new best friend would be having a sleepover up on the top bunk. Carson is forever reminding Lincoln that Buddy is watching, and he is pretty much convinced that Lincoln won't be receiving anything for Christmas. According to Carson, Lincoln is pretty naughty.


We shall see....I think Santa knows that he is only 2 and still learning how to be a good boy. We'll cut him some slack.

Hope all of you are off to a jolly good start of December, we sure are. Gotta soak it up, it comes just once a year.

10 comments:

Cute Family said...

I love traditions also. I love that your family is so good at them. You and your sisters are always doing the cutest things with your kids!

Eric and Jenny said...

AHH.....I loved this post!

Loved it every last second of it, it's so so so true. Mom and dad were the King and Queen of Christmas, every tradition, was followed to a T. They instilled in us girls a love for this time of year that I am so grateful for. It's scary now being the parent and being in charge of setting the spirit in your home. But I have to say I think we are doing a pretty good job especially if we base this off the enthusiasm of the five year olds. Mini you and me in Lance and Carson. They should have been twins I tell you what. Litte buddy cute name, you should surprise Cars and on Christmas Eve stick Buddy in Carson's bed for once last horrah? I have no idea how to spell that.

Anyways my novel is complete now, love ya have a good night and call me tomorrow. And I know you will ask no my computer is not fixed I am using Eric's. It's a sad day without my friend I feel lost without it. Say a little prayer I won't have to purchase a new one. Eric is taking it tommorow to an IT guy at work....we shall see.

Yvonne [Tried and Tasty] said...

Oh fun, fun, fun! I love reading about everyones traditions. I am not very good at them, because I never grew up with any. I always wished I did, while everyone else was doing what they always did - my family wasn't doing much at all. It was a little sad for me really. One year, one of my friends (Stef) gave me a box of traditions! It was one of the best gifts ever. It had an advent calendar - which I loved most of all. I think I will have to start fun things like this when we start our family for sure!

Genn said...

What a fun post. I loved reading about all of your holiday traditions!!
No doubty your adorable boys will have that same love for Christmas as you do.

Glad you got an elf on the shelf! it's so fun!

You look adorable in those pictures with your boys!

Delahunty Family said...

You are so great, I can only hope I will be up to the many activites each Christmas, I also want to make it special for my kids, but I feel that I am lazy about it, do I really want to put in all the work? I hope so, this year I don't have to worry so much because Cassidy is still too young to do certain things, but I hope I will be motivated to actually do it, I'm horrible and oh so lazy. There are certain things I will always be sure to do though. Here is something cool you might like this is an address to Santa Weihnachtsmann (Santa Claus)
Weihnachtspostfiliale
16798 Himmelpfort
Germany
Postage is .90 cents to Germany
This santa will reply to any Christmas lists sent to him, my sisters do this with their kids each year, they love it when they get there letter from Santa in the mail! I don't know if there is a deadline to get a response back or not, but I thought you might like it.

TW said...

The memories of those traditions will live on forever...good job you are doing. I'm sure loving those little elves on the shelves...cute, cute.

The Mashy Family said...

Great memories of Christmas and the traditions that are passed on from generation to generation. We do so many of those szme things you can tell we belong to the same mix can't ya? I hope my kids carry the love for the season and the traditions as much as I do. Sorry we could not hit Santa last night it was so fun. They even had live nativity animals. Hope to see you all soon to share a Christmas tradition!!

Clemments Family said...

I love traditions too.

So glad you found the elf, I love it!

The Carnahan's said...

I loved reading your post! I hope to have fun traditions for Cambree as well, my parents did a great job...it's a lot of work! I love your advent calendar, that's so smart...where did you get it?

Souli & Ashley said...

So cute. I love all of our happy Christmas memories. I love this time of year for so many reasons. Cute post. I want one of those elves.