Valentines has got to be one of my favorites, then again I say that every holiday. But truly, Valentines is pretty special. Any day that is devoted to the people you love has got to be a good one. The older I get, and the more of life I see I realize how fragile our lives really are. How quickly things can change, our lives can be turned upside down in a matter of seconds. I am feeling a little down tonight, heard some unexpected news about a friend that has got me looking at life a little differently. I had a positive, happy post in mind....however my mood has changed. Now all I can think about is my 4 boys who I love so much and the honor and privledge that is mine in being their wife/mom. I am grateful for the time I have been given with them. I am grateful for those tiny little moments shared in an ordinary day that all the sudden make it extraordinary. I am grateful that I know what it feels like to love with my whole heart and have that love returned. I am grateful for love...fitting isn't it.
Here is a little recap of our day, it was such a good day. I tried to just keep it open and simple and see where the day took us. I was pleased with the results.
Honey had to work as usual, so I was left with my three little Jr. Valentines (cause ya know, my guy is my number one Valentine).
Appearantly, my two older children will no longer wear Valentine attire. Aren't they too young to have such opinions. I was at Target the other day trying to find them a little something, I had 3 adorable red shirts picked out. Carson wasn't completely opposed to what I had chose, but he preferred the black one that he picked out. "look mom, it has red in it...does that count". Uh no, but oh well I guess. Lincoln was totally fine with the Popeye Valentine shirt I had...until he saw Darth Vader. He loves Darth Vader (and all other villians, should I be worried about that). Anyways, once he saw that shirt there was no turning back. So I walked out of Target with two black shirts and a red Mickey Mouse one for Drake. He had no say...least I still have control over one of them.
Black or red...they are still pretty darn cute. And they make this mama pretty freaking happy.
See how happy. (Carson took this lovely close up, and was so proud of the way it turned out...threw it in here cause the memory makes me smile)
Our fun actually started a few days before, here is Cars working on his class Valentines. He took this job very seriously. Had no time nor patience for any of Lincoln's antics while he was working. Linc was set up next to him working on his Valentines to give his cousins, he lasted about 2 minutes and then spent the rest of the time antagonizing his poor older brother. It was rough.
The night before, these little guys showed up on our doorstep. My mama always sneaks by and leaves them a Valentine. My kids have a love/hate relationship with this tradition. You see, she rings the doorbell and runs (its supposed to be a surprise). This really angers Carson, he loves the treat but can't ever understand why grandma just can't come in and say hi. Its kinda funny.
We also had a few Valentines show up in the mail from the 2 great Grans. Those sweet Grans.
Anywho, on with our day. We kinda just hung around until it was time to take Carson to school, here is the boy showering me with a little love. I tell ya, this boy is going to treat a lady right someday. Such a little gentleman.
Then he was off (to the great white north appearantly, the kid loves this coat, I told him it was too warm for it, but he insisted...he thinks he's hot stuff in that thing).
While he was gone, me and the babes stopped by Ashley's to drop them off a Valentine. Elle bell and baby Drake had on Mickey and Minnie attire, too cute to not take a picture of.
Then we headed on home...I had a little prep work to do. Got the kids' valentines put together and then set our table for dinner that night.
Aren't those glasses fabulous...super cheesy but my kids got the biggest kick out of them.
By that point it was time to go pick up Carson, after that we headed to the store to get a few finishing touches for our dinner that night.
Once we got home, Carson emptied his Valentine sack and spent the next hour looking through it. Does this bring back the absolute best memories for anyone but me. Oh, how I used to love doing that.
Finally my "real" valentine got home. Sure do love this boy...
Time for presents...
These two dug right in...
while the wee one slumbered away.
I majorly kept things nice and simple this year. Each of them got a small book and a few sweets.
Here is my honey's Valentine. Poor guy, not much. His favorite chocolate bar, oh well thats life.
Then it was time to busy myself in the kitchen. We tried something new this year. With three young kids, Valentines kinda becomes more about them and less about us. I wanted to do something special as a family to include them as well. The honey and I have a big date planned this weekend, so we left this night for all of us. I decided to make us a nice dinner and eat over on our table. This is a big deal for me. I do cook almost every night, but it is usually just the one dish and we all sit around our bar. Never the big table. With my fancy dishes and all. But hey, its Valentines and these little loves deserved something special.
I got my desired reaction...the boys, especially Carson went on and on about how nice everything looked and what a good job I had done. Too cute.
Drake was pretty excited as well...
We had roasted garlic sourdough bread,
Pork tenderloin with an olive oil and herb marinade,
loaded mashed potatoes,
and broccoli with cheese.
I gotta say, it turned out pretty dang good. I was pretty impressed with myself.
Thiago serves in the young men in our ward and they had a quick activity that night, so he headed out for about a half hour. I bathed the babies and quickly put our dessert together.
Made chocolate chip cookie bars...
loaded it up with this yummy stuff...
and that my friends is one tasty dessert. The cookie is all warm and gooey, and oh so good!
And that my friends is a Valentines wrap, it was a LOVE-ly day!
5 comments:
fun day teri!
your dinner and cookie look so good! i have been wanting to make a cookie in a pie dish like that. jake would love it.
you look so cute in the kitchen cooking away.
have a good one today!
Fun posts. Your dinner looks yummy!!! The kids party turned out so cute. Lincoln makes me laugh. The crying reminds me of Jakob at that age. He cried over EVERYTHING!!! I'm glad he finally grew out of that.
Your dinner looks AMAZING. Love the pictures of the boys, so cute. Glad you had a good Valentine's Day, sorry your feeling down, thats no good.
Where did you get those cute cups, I bet those were a big hit with the little boys! Your dinner looks great Ter, see Sunday style dinners are not so hard, you should try it more than once a year!
You will have to let me know if you heard any new news on your friend, I can't seem to get it off my mind and I don't even know her.
Love love love, ur boys r lucky to have u as a mom
Post a Comment