Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Thanksgiving Weekend

We made our annual Salt Lake city shopping trip again this past holiday weekend. I think I have mentioned before that Thiago and I got engaged the Saturday after Thanksgiving after a full day of Christmas shopping and then dinner at The Roof. That was 10 years ago. That blows my mind. I still remember that day like it was yesterday. And here we are 10 years later. Hence, the picture of my ring. I have been wearing this baby for 10 years now. Loved it and him then, and I sure as heck love them now. Its been a great 10 years.

We look forward to this weekend so much. Its the start of all the holiday madness, and we all know we are holiday freaks in this house. It is so great getting the whole weekend to ourselves and getting the jumpstart on our Christmas. These three little boys have some very specific lists this year. Hope Santa follows through. First up, we packed up the boys and dropped them off at my inlaws. They are always so sweet to take them for us and plan a huge, fun day for them.

Then we grabbed our little overnight bag and we hit the road.


First half of the day is all about the boys. Boy did we do some work. We had brought with our many toy catalog's that the boys had received and marked up for what they wanted. Carson even took the liberty to put a star next to the things he really wanted. Thanks Cars. Most of our morning was spent at Toys R Us and Walmart. We took ourselves rather seriously. Thiago finding the items we were looking for, me standing there making lists and comparisons while working within our budget. My calculator was my best friend, making sure each kid was within the amount we had allowed for them. I am proud to say we are almost completely done with the boys. We did good.


We of course always stop for a few treats along the way. Never eat much cause of our huge dinner plans that night, but just a few things to keep us going.

Then we headed down to Salt Lake. Mainly Fashion Place. I always like to get the boy's a few new outfits and such and have the most luck at Fashion Place. Of course a stop at Nordstroms for myself was absolutely necessary. I needed a few new Christmas outfits as well :)

Oh the toasted cinnamon almonds...their smell gets me everytime. Had to buy a snack bag.


That wrapped up our shopping portion of the day. Here's our haul by the end. Not bad. Now time to head to our hotel to get ready for the night.



We usually stay at the Grand America. Which of course is absolutely grand. It is such a beautiful hotel.

Got there in plenty of time for me to curl my hair and get ready which gave my honey time to rest.

All dressed up.

Thiago picked himself up some new shoes while we were shopping and decided to wear them. Nice.


Then it was off to The Joseph Smith Memorial Building. Up, up, up we went to the 10th floor where our table was waiting. Overlooking the beautiful Salt Lake City temple and temple square all aglow with Christmas lights. The atmosphere is out of this world beautiful and I am so glad we make it a priority to go each year. Really sets my Christmas spirit for the season.


If you have never been, you must. Set up as a big beautiful buffet. Shrimp cocktail, clam chowder, fresh salads, cheeses and breads, mashed potatoes, seafood cakes, prime rib, honey glazed ham, chicken cordon blue, creme brule, red velvet cake and about a million other things. I swear I eat more than Thiago there. I just keep going and going.


We wandered through City Creek on our way back to our car after dinner. Downtown Salt Lake city is so enchanting this time of year. So beautiful and festive and so many people out enjoying it. It is just magical!


Next morning after an ok night sleep. I always think I am going to sleep so good, no interuptions and all. Never the case. I woke up about a million times. Must just be out of my element and thinking of my kids. I don't know, wasn't great though. Anywho, we slept in and finally got ready then headed downstairs for one last thing...


Brunch at the Grand America. This my friends is even better than the Roof. It is just splendid. The atmosphere is just so perfect, so open and so much natural light flowing through the huge windows. More food than you have ever seen, so many choices and options and this beautiful live music playing softly the entire time. Go at least one time and you won't be sorry. Every Sunday at the Grand America. A little pricey, but so worth it.


They had fresh juice bars and hot chocolate bars, fresh salmon and crab legs, sushi and all other kinds of seafood. A crepe station that they make right there in front of you. Filled with berries and cream and chocolate. An omelet station with all kinds of ingredients. A fresh belgian waffle station with all the condiments. Prime rib, ham, sausage, bacon, twice baked potatoes, fresh pastries and fruit. And then a huge dessert bar. Bread pudding, fresh cobblers and cakes. I was in a food coma after this weekend. Soooo good.

And then after a fabulous 24 hours it was time to head home. It was truly a perfect weekend.

3 comments:

Rob'n'Mon said...

Happy Anniversary!!! I'm glad you could have such a fun and special celebration. :)

Tammy said...

You look so cute in all your outfits! What a fun weekend.

Team Downs for Thirty-One said...

Will you have your Big T call my Big T and share this magical time??? I would love to be able to have a fun weekend like this where it was planned, enjoyed, and looked forward to...does that make sense? I love our anniversary but I would love to look forward to something like that!
Happy Anniversary!