Saturday, May 7, 2011

Before I was a mom...

My mom gave me this little saying on my very first Mothers Day. Just me and a little 11 month old Carson. My how quickly time moves.

Seems a fitting day to share it with all of you. To all of you mothers out there, you grandmothers, almost mothers, or hoping to be mothers...I am sure it will make all of you smile and maybe get a little teary. Cause that is what it does to me.




BEFORE I WAS A MOM..
Before I was a mom....I slept as late as I wanted. And never worried about how late I got into bed. I brushed my hair and my teeth everyday.

Before I was a mom....I cleaned my house each day. I never tripped over toys or forgot words to a lullaby. I didn't worry whether or not my plants were poisenous. I never thought about immunizations.

Before I was a mom.... I had never been puked on, pooped on, spit on, chewed on, peed on. I had complete control over my mind and my thoughts. I slept all night.

Before I was a mom....I never held down a screaming child so the doctors could do tests or give shots. I never looked into teary eyes and cried. I never got gloriously happy over a simple grin. I never sat up late hours at night watching a baby sleep.

Before I was a mom....I never held a sleeping baby just because I didn't want to put them down. I never felt my heart break into a million pieces when I couldn't stop the hurt. I never knew that something so small could affect my life so much. I never knew that I could love someone so much. I never knew that I would love being a mom.

Before I was a mom....I didn't know the feeling of having my heart outside my body. I didn't know how special it could feel to feed a hungry baby. I didn't know the bond between a mother and her child. I didn't know that something so small could make me feel so important and happy.

Before I was a mom....I had never gotten up in the middle of the night every 10 minutes to make sure all was okay. I had never known the warmth, the joy, the love, the heartache, the wonderment or the satisfaction of being a mom...I didn't know I was capable of feeling so much before I was a mom.

(and now, my mom's favorite line)
And before I was a Grandma....I didn't know all of those "mom" feelings, more than doubled!




"Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother". Lin Yutang

Motherhood is the greatest calling I have ever known. I will forever be grateful for the little ones that have made me a mom. Mothers Day means more to me than any other day of the year. The chance to stop and rejoice in the fact that I am a mama and these babes are mine. Thank-you sweet boys for giving me the three greatest gifts. I love you deeper than I have ever loved, there is nothing I wouldn't do for you. I am yours, forever and always.

And to these two lovely ladies...





To my mother in law, my second mom really. Oh, how I love you. Thank-you for raising the son that you did and then handing him over to me. He is a good man, and I owe that to you. You taught him to be all that he is and I am forever grateful for your influence over his life. He is a mama's boy for sure, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Thank-you for the love you share with my little ones. I don't know that there are any three boys out there more loved than mine. The phrase "world's best grandma" doesn't even do it justice. You go above and beyond. We love you more than you will ever know. Here we are raising a little family of our own, yet how often do you carry us through. We rely on you so much and could not do it without you. Thank-you from the very bottom of my heart.

To my mama, there are no words. All that I am, all that I have, all that I will ever be....I owe to you. You are the closest thing to heaven I have ever known. You are my biggest support, my truest fan, my inspiration, my comfort, my guidance. I love you so sweet lady. Where would I be without you. Thank-you for all you have done throughout every step of my life. It all links back to you and I love you.

Happy Mothers Day ladies, all my love.

5 comments:

The Carnahan's said...

Happy Mothers Day Teri! You said it all so beautifully! I love everything you said, being a mom truly is the best thing I've ever experienced as well. You are too cute with your boys, love your pictures!

Maria said...

MY SWEET GIRL
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE TOUCHING WORDS, I LOVE YOU AND YOU GAVE ME THE BEST PRESENT THIS MOTHERS DAY,I THANK OUR FATHER IN HEAVEN FOR THE BLESSING THAT MY SON AND MY BOYS TO HAVE YOU AND THERE LIVES.YOU KNOW THAT I DONT ASK FOR MUCH BUT FAMILY IS MY TREASURE, THANK YOU FOR CONTINUE THE WORK THAT I HAVE STARTED
AND FOR HELPING THIAGO TO BE BETTER EVERY DAY IM SO PROUD OF YOU GUYS FOR THE WAY YOU ARE RAISING YOUR (OUR ) BOYS.
MY PRAYERS GO OUT TO YOU EVERY DAY.
AND THANK YOU TO YOUR MOTHER TO RAISE SUCH A AMAZING WOMAN.

LOVE YOU ALWAYS
HAPPY MOTHER DAY

MARIA

Genn said...

Hi Teri,
Hope you have a wonderful mothers day!!
What a sweet tribute to both your moms.
Loved the words of that letter. SO true. How can you read it and not get teary eyed??
Your boys are so lucky to have a mom like you. Happy day my friend.

Eric and Jenny said...

Oh how I love that poem, it brings tears every time. Such sweet words about your dear mothers, they are angels for sure.

Thanks for yesterday, hope Linc's eye is doing alright. And hope the house is doing alright too, you never know with the rugrats all there. Love you hope you are having a good day.

I need to call you back, it's been a busy one today!

TW said...

I love watching you be a Mom...and your pictures of you and the boys tell it all. Everyone should be so lucky as to be so "wise beyond their years" in their mothering skills. You are a great example to us all. Love you!

Thanks for letting us do a little crashing...I'm sure craving some of that potato salad about right now.