Friday, September 7, 2012

First Days!

Back to School!! We survived the first week. Can I get a holler, exciting times.

Carson's first day was Tuesday. These boys of mine have had a pretty lax schedule this summer, staying up way later than they should be (cause their parents are awesome like that)so a few weeks ago we started working on getting them back on a good bedtime routine. They fought us like you wouldn't believe, they are champs at "forgetting" things at bedtime. It worked though, both of them were back in their own beds by 8:30 every night. I know my boys, especially Carson when he doesn't get enough sleep. And 7:30 am comes awfully early when you are that kid. So I was pleased that morning when he woke up well rested and excited about his day. I didn't sleep a wink the night before cause I was so anxious but I was glad that he did fine. His choice on breakfast, powder sugar pancakes and bacon.

Packed my sweet boy his lunch (cause he won't be home to eat with the rest of us, tear). He was very specific on what he wanted. PB&J with the crusts cut off, a bag of chips (slighly opened, in case he couldn't do it himself )raspberries, and a cookie.

and then pictures!!!

what is it with little boys and skulls. He says it is pirates, whatever I guess.

that's a 1...ya know, for first grade!

How handsome is this boy, he just makes my heart go mush. Love him.


And that was that. He was off. The different grades all have an assigned door they go in and out from. First grade is on the far end of the building. There are numbers painted on the concrete coordinating with their room number. They line up on their number with their class and wait for the first bell to ring. The teacher then comes and greets them and leads them to class. It was pretty much utter chaos that first day. I was dang proud of my boy though. He was nervous, clutched my hand tight and wouldn't let me leave until he was safely inside but he didn't cry, not at all. This is a major step up from last year. His teacher is so very sweet, Mrs P (I requested her, cause I'm that kind of mom, ha). She came out and right away I was impressed with her happy, warm, little self. I knew he'd be fine.

One final wave and I watched my little one walk through those big ol' doors, he looked back at me with once last nervous smile and that was that. I scooped my heart off the floor, gathered Lincoln from the playground and went home.

Walked in the door, and felt empty. I missed him already.

Heaven knows, these wild turkeys did their best to distract me all day long. One shenanigan after another. But part of my heart was missing, I missed my boy.

Went to the grocery store, somehow all of Carson's favorites ended up in my cart. Wonder who I was thinking about?

Cheered myself up with some candy corn. First bag of the season. Instant pick-me-up!

First day was a early out schedule. Home at 1:25, instead of 3:25. Guess they figured they would break them gently. I wasn't complaining. Still felt like an eternity. I wonder who else missed him. Poor Lincoln. These two are the best of friends. I am always getting asked by people how do I get my boys to play so well together. Honestly, I don't know on that. They just do. They very rarely sit down to watch TV, or play video games or anything like that. They are always just playing. I just got lucky I guess, I have never had to set timelimits or rules they are just naturally active. Poor, poor Lincoln is so used to having his sidekick around. He is actually the one I feel the saddest for, he is just lost without Carson.

Notice Carson is wearing a different shirt. Oh my raspberries. Lesson learned for the mama, what was I thinking. I included a napkin in his lunch but I guess he decided to use his shirt instead. Yikes! Went straight into the wash.

Off for an afterschool snack.

What else but Krispy Kremes. My boy loves him some doughnuts, so does his mom!!

Next day, Wednesday. Round 2. Lincoln boys turn. His breakfast choice, always eggs!! I threw in some toast and bacon.

Afternoon preschool schedule for him. He busied himself with toys all morning. He was so nervous, poor babe. Wanted to be excited, but he was so nervous. All he talked up all morning long, I was actually pretty worried that things were going to get ugly. He has never done real well at primary, he does alright now. However it was a process. Its just so funny cause he is such a wild child at home, but you put him in a room full of other people and the kid is scared of his own shadow. He kept crying all morning, saying he didn't want to stay there by himself. I had no idea how this was going to go down. I was a nervous wreck.

The closer we got to 12:45, he did a complete turn around. All the sudden he couldn't wait. Wanted to hurry and get in the bath so we could go. I've never seen the kid move so fast. It was bizarre. I just ran with it, I was so relieved to see him excited. Didn't know if it would last but heck lets give it a try.




Oh my boy. The whole thing with him has just felt like Dejavu. Feels like I was just doing this with Carson. Can't believe my Rano Fano is a preschooler, cutest one out there too. I know I have said it a million times before, but I sure do have a soft spot for my wild child. Wrapped around that little finger of his.


Drake kept trying to squeeze his way into the pictures, finally included him in one. Lincoln's good-bye kiss.

Here comes Elle Belle. They are going to the same preschool, same time, same teacher. My heart is relieved. So glad they have each other. Elle Belle was so dang excited, she is a social butterfly and loves this kind of thing. We kept telling Lincoln to watch out for Elle, and hold her hand if she was scared and protect her. I think it is the other way around though, no way this boy of mine would have stayed there if it wasn't for Elle. She was familiar and safe to him, and that thought alone makes me want to cry. Love the relationship between these two.

My boy walked right on in there, chin held high. Gripped my hand at first, then tentavily let go to hang up his back pack. Stuck right to Elles side as they found a spot and dug into some playdough. Smiled at me as I waved good-bye and there you have it.

Here's where things get all kinds of crazy. Drake fell asleep on the way home. He napped for the next 2 hours. Me, all alone. What the?? The quietness was disturbing. You think you are going to enjoy every second of it, I missed them though. I missed their chatter and laughter and heck even their whining. I am sure as the days gone on I will be just fine with that alone time, but this day I wasn't. It was a blaring reminder that they were growing up and out there in this world without me. It stung a little. So I cleaned my bathrooms, fabulous distraction.

The boys need to be picked up at the same time, so most days I will drop off Linc and Elle and Ash will pick them up, while I pick up Carson. However, I wanted to see him on his first day, so Thiago rearranged his schedule so he could get Carson so I could be there to see Lincoln come out. He was full of chatter and smiles, first day was a success. He loves "Miss Katie", according to him she sings really, really silly songs. Linc's turn to pick a treat, we met up with dad at Mc-D's for an icecream cone, Linc's favorite!

And there you have it. First days down. Still getting used to it all. My counter is getting used to it all too. Wow, have some stuff.


School is back in session.

1 comment:

Eric and Jenny said...

What a sweet post, I loved this one Ter.

Such an amazing mother, I learn so much from you. I have to admit I rarely get sad to see my kids go in the mornings what does that say about me? I do get sad they are growing up but I usually breathe a big sigh of relief and then jump on in to the days to do list before they get home and life becomes a lot more chaotic. I love that you ache for them....makes me rethink a few things.

Love you lots, hope the day is going great and happy birthday Theo.

Oh and Elle and Linc, melt my heart, love those two.