Friday, September 21, 2012

Home: Autumn Style



Home. Just the word home makes me feel all warm and cozy. Pretty sure I am extremely old fashioned when it comes to my home and my family, but I'm ok with that. I am a true believer in "his roles" and "her roles", I know in certain circumstances these roles need to be shared but for the most part I take great pride in domestication. My husband has never cleaned a toilet, very rarely changed a load of laundry, always comes home to a warm cooked meal, a clean and inviting home, and a stack of clean, ironed clothes. In turn, he goes out in the cold, cruel world everyday and works hard to earn a living for us. He handles all yard and car issues. He is my built in repairman. I am sure there are some of you that shake your head at this. However for us, it works. If I needed the help, he would do it for me in a heartbeat, he is more than willing. Its just always kinda been "my thing". I get so much satisfaction and happiness from creating a home for my little family.

I have so many memories from when I was little. The smells I would walk into, our house always smelled like a mixture of vanilla and cleaning products. I remember walking home from a friends house on crisp, cool, nights. My hands were buried deep in my pockets, my head bent to keep the wind out of my face. I would let myself in through our garage. My house would be lit up with porch lights and lamps seen through the windows. I would walk in and immediatly be flooded with warmth. The smell of a hearty dinner was always in the air. I would take off my shoes and go into our half bath in the downstairs hallway. I would wash my hands and feel the warm water flowing over them. I would dry my hands with the hand towel my mom had just placed there. Clean, and layed out perfectly. Not one wrinkle. How did she do that. I would walk up the stairs, little accent lamps turned on everywhere I looked (ya know, to set the mood). Everything was perfectly clean, and straight, and decorative. My mom would be standing at the stove, she would always turn to greet me with a big ol' smile on her face. I was home.

I am trying so very hard to recreate this for my children. The breakfasts she would lay out for me every single morning, burying my face in my freshly cleaned sheets that smelled like fabric softner, watching her carefully water each and every flower pot in the summertime, the music that was always softly playing, the candle that smelled of vanilla and cinnamon. I loved her home, I loved the feeling that it gave me everytime I walked through those doors. I was safe, I was loved, I was cherished.

For me, home is a big deal. I pour my whole heart and soul into it. I know I don't need decorations for every holiday, or for my floor to be so clean you could eat off of it. However, for me it is a sense of accomplishment, the chance to create something that will build lasting memories for my children. I don't work outside the home, not much anyways, my job is my home. And I truly take so much pride and happiness from it. To me, these upcoming months symbolize what "home" is all about. The warmth, the coziness, the love. We are approaching my absolute favorite time of the year. I wave my holiday freak flag like crazy. The holidays are coming...and I can't wait.






















Just a glimpse of my home as we get ready to welcome fall. Its in the air, can ya feel it. Those crisp, cool mornings. Chilly nights. The leaves are changing. I am craving soups, stews, cobblers and all things pumpkin. I swear just the thought of all this leaves my heart beating just a bit faster. Candy corns, autumn harvests, hot chocolate, snuggly flannel jammies and blankets. Bring it. Can't wait.

Happy Fall all!

4 comments:

Eric and Jenny said...

Isn't it funny the things that stood out to us as kids. I have that same vivid memory of letting the warm water in the downstairs bathroom running over my cold hands in evenings. I even remember smelling lasagna cooking in the stove. Oh I would love to go back in time for just one day and be with my girls. I miss that time of us four always together!

Love this post, said so perfectly. The greatest warmest time of the year is here and I am so excited for it. Your house looks beautiful and I know those babies will remember each and every little thing you are doing for them to give them a happy childhood. Love it!

Genn said...

I love to see how important your roles as a mother are to you and Jenny. I always think I can almost envision what it was like for you girls growing up because we learn how to do all those little things from our mothers. I think of my own mom and my experiences growing up every time I make my own family dinner, or say things to my kids that my mom said to me. It sounds like you have wonderful memories of "home" as a child and I have no doubt that each of your boys will too. Makes you feel so blessed to have grown up with a home and a family like that doesn't it? Great post my friend. And happy Autumn!

lacycox said...

Love love love this post! That's exactly how my husband and I work things around here. I know a lot of people disagree with that, but it's the best and I love it! Your home looks so cozy, I adore all your decorations too. I may not know you in person but I feel like I do through Instagram and your blog :) You're such a great example to me in being a mother, I want to raise my kids in the same way, them knowing the unconditional love that comes from inside the walls of their home. Enjoy the holidays!!

JOHNICA said...

I hope that when the day I can stay home with my kids I can be JUST LIKE YOU! Serioulsy. I'll show John your stuff and he always asks why I can't be more like Teri. It's true. But I always say when he gets his journeyman license and I can stay home. So for now, he GETS to clean a toilet! Haha! Love yall