Thursday, March 5, 2009

Motherhood

Growing up you get asked the question "what do you want to be when you grow up" about a million times. Of course my answer was always...."I want to be a mom". Now of course we all know I love being a mom, best thing I have ever done. My blog often paints a rosy picture, oh I love my kids, I love my husband, I love being a homemaker...blah, blah, blah. Trust me there is plenty of bad that happens in my life, I just choose to remember the good stuff. Therefor I post the good stuff. I would be a total liar if I were to say that every second of every day is just perfect and wonderful. I am not the person that enjoys every minute of every day with my kids, I do get mad and frusterated alot more than just occasionally. I get very sick of constantly picking up toys, wiping noses, fixing meals, going through bills and what not. Lets all take a look at a typical day in the Cano household, after a day like this I often ask myself "what is so great about being a mom"?

Day starts out at 4:45 am, my sweet little baby is fussin it up in his little crib next to my bed. Get baby and pop out his food, hoping he will eat up and close those precious little eyes, so his mommy dear can get a little more sleep. That is not the case, he finishes eating and is smiling and cooing at me at 5:00 in the morning. Ok...guess I am up.

We head out to the family room, settle baby boy in his bouncer and I head to the couch to see if I can get just one more hour. Not going to happen, at this point I am wide awake. Settle myself on the couch and turn on reruns of Saved by the bell.

7:00 comes hear hubby starting to wake up and get ready for work. I decide to get my day going as well. Run around the house, start opening blinds and picking up the few things that were left around the house last night.

Run downstairs to throw in a load of laundry, decide not to start washer cause husband is in shower. Leave dirty clothes sitting in washer. Move over to computer to quick and balance checkbook. Husband got paid today, oh what do you know after all the bills are paid, not a whole lot left for me. Oh well.

Back upstairs, Carson still sleeping. Decide to get Lincoln bathed and ready for the day. Do so. Carson wakes up, I was interested in a segment on the Today show, but older boy wants to watch Georgie...alright, good-bye Today show.

Fix Carson breakfast, his current favorite is toast with cinnamon sugar. Easy enough. Carson finishes, I eat the crusts of his toast and call that my breakfast.

Oh no, baby just pooped out of his diaper, oh no it is all over his clothes. Rebath baby and pick out new outfit. Spend the next half hour, wondering why babies poop was runnier than usual.

Make my bed, clean up breakfast, get Carson bathed and ready. Feed Lincoln. Got the rest of my cleaning done yesterday except for kids bathroom. Clean bathroom as fast as possible.

Time to do my exercise workout...all I need is a half hour. Do exercise tape which includes power yoga. Try to do this while Carson darts in and out of my legs, I tell him to stop. He doesn't, I accidently sit on him cause he is in my way. Carson cries.

Go downstairs to change laundry. Crap, I never started that load. Now I am behind. Start it up now.

Lady in my ward stops by to give me new visiting teaching list. Feel like an idiot cause it is 11:00 in the morning, and I am still in my pj's. This lady doesn't have kids yet and politely looks at me like I am crazy. Just you wait lady...

Feed Lincoln again in hopes that he will behave himself while I try to get ready. Hurry and pick up a few toys that Carson has left laying around.

Head to shower. Check the scale, yuck still not back to pre baby weight. Get in shower, feel sad the entire time cause my long, thick hair is falling out. Same thing happened after I had Carson. No wonder my drains are clogged. Make mental note to get some draino at grocery store later.

Out of shower. Lincoln is not behaving himself. He is tired and won't go to sleep in his bouncer. Fuss, fuss. Get ready as fast as possible, the entire time listening to Carson yell at me and I quote "Mom, how many times me tell you not to pick up my toys". Me " I wouldn't have to pick up your toys, if you would do it yourself, besides you weren't playing with them". This goes on for 45 minutes.

Feed Lincoln again. Time to head to the grocery store to pick up a few things for my food storage. Trying to follow the prophets counsel. Hope that Lincoln will fall asleep in the car, he usually does.

Go outside, buckle heavy baby and carseat in car. Yell for Carson to come get in his seat, he is running around the yard like he has never been outside before. He gets in car, we are off. Lincoln is fine as long as car is moving, stop at red light and I sit and pump the brakes to keep him from crying.

Arrive at Walmart, Lincoln is almost asleep. Not quite. I try to steer cart with one hand (Carson riding up front) and hold Lincolns binki in place with the other hand.

Into the store we go. Stop at Mcdonalds to get Carson a kidsmeal. Forgot lunch, plus this will keep him occupied. Cheeseburger happy meal, coke for me. We are set. Maybe not, Carson decides he would rather my coke and not the sprite I got for him. Spend the next few minutes asking my child if I can have a drink of my own coke. Go through the rest of the grocery trip feeling guilty that I let my three year old drink caffeine. All goes well in store. Carson spots balloon on the way out. I say no, he cries the entire way out to the car. Fun.

Go home and hurry and put stuff away. Get mail. Oh joy, another Lincoln bill. When are these things going to stop. Lincoln wakes up, feed him again.

Want to go to Thiago's soccer game. Once again get kids piled in car. Carson is getting tired but it is to late in the day now for a nap. I spend the whole car ride, singing rather loud and obnoxious so he won't go to sleep.

Watch game, well sort of. Lincoln is awake, again...and wants to be bounced. Heaven forbid he sit in a carseat that is stationery. Trying to keep my eye on Carson at the same time, as he darts around the sportsplex. Don't want anyone taking off with my little guy. Thiago asks if I saw a certain play, I say no I kinda had my hands full.

Go home, sing in the car again. Need to get dinner fixed. Put baby in swing and start it up. What, out of batteries again. Load that thing up with 4 D batteries (which aren't cheap) for the 3rd time this week. Oh well, worth my sanity.

Fix dinner all with the "help" of my 3 year old. Grating cheese, Carson eats it as fast as I grate it. Half ending up in his mouth, the other half all over my floor.

Eat dinner. After 2 bites Carson announces that he is full. I know he is not but whatever. Feed Lincoln. Clean up dinner, just as I am shining the sink. Oh guess who is hungry, you got it. Carson. Fix him some cereal.

Go bath Lincoln. Bath Carson. Clean up flooded bathroom, thanks to a rather rambunctious 3 year old. Finish laundry for the day. Go downstairs to finish getting tax stuff together for Thiago to take next day to the tax guy. Oh whats this, Carson colored on some of our papers. Thats nice.

Baby is crying....Thiago says he doesn't know what else to do for him. Take baby, within 1 minute baby is calm. Here comes 3 year old to sit by me.

In this moment I remember why I love being a mom so much. Look down at baby peacefully sleeping in my arms. Three year olds little arms go around my neck, he snuggles up and says in his sleepy little voice "mommy, me so love you". There it is, that one tender little moment that makes all those crazy, hectic moments throughout the rest of my day worth it. Oh yeah...that is why I wanted to be a mom.

Mother....to the world you just might be one person, but to that one person, you just might be the world!

10 comments:

Ashley and Devan said...

Teri, I loved this post. It's so real. I found myself laughing through most of it just thinking
"oh this is just like my life". I agree that motherhood is so worth all the chaos that it brings. You are a wonderful Mom.

Eric and Jenny said...

Ter I loved this mostly becuase I can so picture that entire day you described, I have been there plenty of times while Cars runs around outside for the first time in his life ha ha! It was perfect I loved the whole thing, I could not stop smiling. It is so funny because even amongst chaos there are about a thousand moments a day where you just can help but smile at the things your kids do, loved this!

Clemments Family said...

I liked this post also...its crazy to think about everything that comes along with being a Mom. But in the end everything is worth it. I had a day totally like this yesterday and I was going nuts until Ashton fell asleep in my arms. You have two adorable little boys and they have a great Mom.

TW said...

Boy, that sure made me tired. It's fun to hear about a day in the life of the Cano's. I'm proud of you for being such a good Mom, not a better job in the whole world!!!

Souli & Ashley said...

I've never laughed so hard. Those moments are so true. Days are crazy but those little tender moments make you remember what you wanted to be a mom for. Carson makes me laugh with his cereal. I think we need those moments to remind why we love them. Last night I wanted to kill Brevin getting him to sleep. Then once he is I think oh what a sweet sleeping baby got to love it. We love our kids more then we realize sometimes.

Melissa said...

Amen, I seriously feel the same way sometimes. Do you ever feel like you will never be able to catch up on laundry, dishes and cleaning up toys? It's good to know there are other moms that feel the same way I do.

Brittany said...

This was a wonderful post. I loved every word. It made me laugh at times. You sound like a wonderful mom Teri :)

Nick and Stacey said...

WHat a great post! I loved it, it is nice to know even perfect people are normal! I loved every second of that post, I especially loved the end where "Mommy me so love you" It really does make every crazy moment worth it! You do a great job Teri, you are a great mom, and you have some of the best boys. Love You so Much!

Jill said...

I know how you feel that is so true, we have such a thankless job now. But, nothing is more important, I am proud of you, you are a great Mom.

Tiff and Chris said...

Awesome post! It sure is crazy and I don't have any little ones yet, but somehow it excites me...you are such a wonderful mom.