Monday, August 2, 2010

Weird Day


So, yeah...today was weird. It was long, emotional, shocking, and also very humbling. Lets start at the beginning. Last month I took Carson in to his regular pediatrician for his 5 year old well child care check. Everything looked great, except for one small thing. His doctor detected a murmur as well as a name I can't remember which basically meant a clicking sound at the end of each beat. His doctor was a little concerned, he went on to tell me it was probably nothing but he would feel better if I got Carson into Primary Children's and had an echo cardiogram done on him. My doctor truly didn't seem overly concerned about it, he said heart murmurs in children are quite common....however it was the clicking sound that went along with it that made him want to have it double checked.

So, I made an appointment with a cardiologist at Primary's as soon as they had one available. 6 weeks goes by with me having that nagging little feeling in the back of my mind that something wasn't right. Not a fun feeling to have, especially when it is because of your child.

We headed down today, picked up Thiago at his office, went to lunch together and then on to Primary's. We got in and got the echo done...this lasts about 45 minutes. They then take us to an exam room, tell us they have all they need and the doctor will be in to go over the results. 45 minutes goes by, when finally another tech shows up. She says they actually need to run a few more. She hooks Carson up to more cameras and wires and then she leaves. Another half hour goes by, I am worrying...why would they come in for more tests unless the others showed something wrong. Finally a doctor comes in...he starts by listening to Carson's heart. Yeah, he definitely detects the same noises the pediatrician did. Duh! Yes, there were some abnormalities in his echo and he needs to go get his supervisor to listen in and explain. Great, he leaves...I am freaking. Trying to stay calm for Carson's sake but what the heck is going on. Another 20 minutes or so and both doctors come back.

Diagnosis.....Bicuspid Aortic Valve. What this means is this...the aortic valve is the part of your heart that pushes oxygen rich blood through and to the remaining organs of our bodies. Most of us have three ventricles or "leaflets" that make up our valve. Carson's heart only has two. This can cause three problems. The structure of an aortic valve with only 2 leaflets is completely different than one with three. The valve has to function differently in order to perform the way it is supposed to. The most common problem with this is the way the valve opens and closes. If it doesn't open correctly than you get what is called stenosis which is backed up blood in the heart. The heart can't open up and push the oxygenated blood throughout the rest of your body. This is obviously huge. Carson's opens perfectly. However it doesn't close quite right. It has a small gap when it closes rather than fitting snuggly. This can cause leakage, meaning some of the blood is pushed back into the valve. This really isn't that big of a deal.

What is a big deal is this. In some patients with Bicuspid Aortic Valve, the valve experiences an enlargement or dilation of the aorta. The wall of the valve is pushed out slowly over time. As Carson grows the dilation will grow. Slowly, but surely. This can result in an aorta aneurysm eventually causing the aorta to burst. That is obviously life threatening. Right now Carson's measure at 27 mm...where a normal valve would be around 10 or so. When it reaches 45-50 mm is when you start to worry. In most cases the valve will grow 1 mm a year. However in some cases it will be faster. Which means most likely this will not cause Carson any problems until he is older. We just don't know. For now he will go every 6 months to have another echo done...if it is growing slowly the way it is expected to do then all is well for now. Either way, he will have to go yearly for the rest of his life to have an echo done. If it grows to fast (throughout his teenage years and young adult) it could effect the way he exerts himself. Meaning no weight lifting, wrestling, football, running for long distances that kind of thing. We just will take it year by year and see if there are any limitations.

Now/when it reaches 45-50 mm, we start to be extra careful. He will start taking medicine to reduce the growth and if that doesn't work they go in and replace the valve. Yeah, heart surgery...this is where I started to cry. I felt like a bomb was being dropped on me. Sitting there with a cardiologist telling me my 5 year olds heart may some day need surgery. He was the nicest doctor. He went on to reassure us that this is worse case scenario. If it happens Carson will most likely be grown. As far as heart surgery goes this is the most routine surgeries of them all. It is something that they would never let get to the point of being dangerous, they would just go in and fix it. This surgery usually has zero complications and a full recovery and there is no reason to think Carson won't reach his full life expectancy.

So yeah, like I said a hundred emotions going through me. However, sitting there listening to all this and watching my happy, active, bubbly little boy who was oblivious to it all, truly filled me with relief and gratitude. Primary Children's is no place any parent wants to end up with their child. I sat there thinking of the other diagnosis and diseases and illnesses surrounding me in this hospital. I thought of children and their parents with problems far worse than mine. Does it scare me...yeah, I'm a mom and I was just told my child has a heart defect but it is managable, it is common and one of the easiest to correct. Their is by far, worse out there. In my heart I knew something wasn't quite right, mothers intuition I guess. However, I knew whatever it was we could handle it.

My heart goes out to those parents who are watching their children suffer with far worse. I don't know how they handle it. It hurts my heart. I love these babies of mine, all three of them. They are not only an extension of me, they are me. They are what consumes me. They are always on my mind and most importantly in my heart. I can't even stand the love between a mother and her child. It scares me, to feel something so consuming, so deep and indescribable. They are my life, and my biggest fear is something hurting them. I pray that never happens. I know without a shadow of a doubt I couldn't handle it, it would break me into a thousand pieces.

This is the longest post ever, but I never want to forget the emotions I have felt this day. Never in my life has my love for my child felt quite like this. Never has being a mom meant more to me than it did today. Motherhood is something else, its hard, it is tiring, it tests you over and over again. Not only do you worry about yourself for the rest of your life but you worry about these little ones and at times the heartache and the pain of it all feels like to much and I wonder how I can handle that kind of worry for the rest of my life. With each child you add on that feeling is just intensified. But then I looked into my 5 year olds eyes, we connected, he smiled at me and said "mama". And I knew in that moment, it is a love like no other....it is so deep and it truly can conquer all. And whatever heartache I face in this world because of them, whether it is an accident, or an illness, or a poor decision they make, or if they struggle with self esteem or with friends...or whatever it is. Whatever causes me to lay awake in my bed at night and worry and pray for them. It is all worth it, because I am theirs and they are mine. And there is no bond stronger than that, nothing that could tear them out of my grasp. So to you my three sweet babes...your momma loves you and thanks her father in heaven every day for her greatest gifts.

16 comments:

Jenny said...

Teri, I'm in tears. I'm so sorry!! I know how scary that can be. We had a cancer scare with Blaine the first part of this year. You and your guy are in my prayers. Isn't it so great that we live in a time when technology can fix so many things. My husband works at Primary Children's in the Pediatric ICU. I'm like you, I don't know how those parents, and the kids, handle such terrible illnesses. Please keep us updated.

Yvonne [Tried and Tasty] said...

Wow Teri, that is a wierd day. I'm sorry for all that you had to go through. It was a long post, but I read every single word. You are so great and diligent about writing down your feelings and thoughts - you will appreciate that some day. I'm sorry your little guy will have to handle this for the rest of his life. That's tough. But like you said, there are so many other diseases and illnesses that other children are stricken with that they and their parents have to deal with on a daily basis as well. The Lord will never give you more than you can handle. I know you will be strong for your children and they will love you for that. I will keep your family in my prayers - and you especially. You sure made being a mother sound like an amazing thing. I can't wait to hopefully be able to experience that one day too.

The Mashy Family said...

Oh Teri I am seriously a crying mess right now thinking of you and your family. I think this is one of the sweetest and most raw posts I have ever read. This is so special that you wrote this down and can reflect on it. I am so sorry to hear this about our little Carson boy. You know the thing is that even though he has something missing there he still has a huge heart full of love and life. It is making up for the little lost part that is not there. He is a special little guy with so much to offer the world. He shares that little heart every day with so many people. I am grateful that i myself have been a part of this. I am praying for you and your family at this time and hope that you can find some comfort in this. I know that you are strong and that you worry but your a great mom to your kids and a great example of strength. Love you guys so much!

Delahunty Family said...

Oh Teri I'm so sorry, I know how your heart aches when something is wrong with your child. I'm so glad that it is managable. You guys will be in our prayers.

Cute Family said...

I am sorry Teri. I will definitely remember you and your family in my prayers.

Eric and Jenny said...

Wow.....just wow.

Ter Lance is seriously concerned with the amount of tears I have right now. Never have I heard motherhood described quite so perfectly, you nailed it. Every emotion, every moment, every thought.

And I could not agree with Jo more, Carson in one of a kind. He has a rare gift for bringing absolute joy and love to all those around him. To have this gift at five years old is remarkable. He loves with his whole heart, he is a true friend, he feels the emotions of others, he loves and brings joy whether you have known him for five years or five minutes.

Give my little sweetheart a big love from me, he is in my every prayer. You don't know how hard I prayed yesterday when we were not hearing from you for all those hours. Love you more than words can say, all of you.

TW said...

What a beautiful post and what a special little boy and family. You will be in our thoughts and prayers and know that all will be well. Love you, and give my little buddy a "great big kiss"...he is the best!!!

Johnstun Fam said...

Oh Teri, I am so sorry about Carson. I cannot believe that, he always looks so happy and Healthy! Well I guess he is still healthy, he just has a different heart! :)
I know somewhat how you feel, it is so scary being there and not knowing what is going on out in the halls of Primarys, and you just have to wait.
Aren't we so blessed to not have to live at Primary childrens like some Parents and children, I don't know how they handle it. Every since our experiance there I keep all those children and their parents in our prayers.
I am sure it was a lot to take in especially being pregnant. our thoughts are iwth you guys!!

Shanna said...

i'm sorry Teri, thats got to be the hardest thing to just sit and wonder. my thoughts and prayers are with you guys.

The Carnahan's said...

What a hard day, I'm sorry you had to go through all of that! At least like you said it is something fixable and that they found it now so you know what to watch for. Really, who knew you would worry so much about your children? I now know how it feels to be a mommy, all of the worry you put yourself through because you do love them so much. You're kids are lucky to have such a wonderful mommy who will always take care of them!

JOHNICA said...

Poor little guy. I am so sorry. That just sucks. If yall need anything, let us know...MCDONALDS TOYS/COUPONS??!?? ya know, just for those days where you can't cook because you are emotionally not able

Clemments Family said...

Oh Teri, I have tears rolling down my face. I know exactly how you feel and its the worse feeling ever. What I can tell you is that Primary Childrens is one of the best hospitals and they take such good care of those kids. The whole heart thing is scary, i went through it with Bob and then Lex and I melt everytime i hear of someone else having to go through it. Cling to faith girly, its the best thing. Prayers work tremendously and I will definately be praying for great news. Carson is such a strong boy and kids are fighters. I promise he will be just fine, its hard to look at it and not think the worse, but we have to be thankful that they caught it early on and can watch it closely. Keep us updated. Also, not sure if your interested, but I got the most comfort from my heart blog, it was the best thing ever even when Bob was going through his whole things. There are thousands that go through the same thing sadly and everyone clings to each other for support. I did the same thing with Lexi's condition. Lexi actually had stenosis and it was scary, but she recovered, there is hope and don't ever lose faith.

Ashley and Devan said...

You brought me to tears. I am sorry to hear about his diagnosis, but I was so relieved to hear it can be fixed with no complications. Carson is such a special boy, he is so lucky to have you for a Mom.

Souli & Ashley said...

Oh my sweet little boy. I love reading all those comments. Expecially Randi's and Jen's. They put it so clearly. You have an angel of a little guy. He amazes me. His love, his kindness. I know where he gets it from his daddy. I am constantly thinking of him and you. YOu were so strong the other day. I know you had the spirit with you all throughout that whole situation. Be strong for me and for you family. YOu are the most special mother. I owe alot about what I know as a mother from you. No one can put what its like or how being a mom can affect you then you. YOur post inspires me. He will always be fine. It Carson, he has to much courage to ever think otherwise. I love my monkey like he was my own. We will always have a special bond that I hold close to my heart. Give him a giant kiss for me after you read this. Thankful for giving me a reminder of what life is really about. I will pray for you always.

Souli & Ashley said...

I hope that makes sense I kind of messed up a few parts. YOu know how I am. Its why I don't blog.

Plain Jame said...

Teri, I don't know what to say, but I so wish I did. It's like the sum of every parents fears comes to fruition and anyone that has a child can sympathize.

It seems to me like you are the perfect mom to Carson to get him through this. You will show him that he can do anything he wants to do, and be anything he wants to be. You are happy, positive, and honest.
You are so right, it could be so much worse. You'll teach him to just trust and have faith, and feel the blessings of modern medicine, blessings, and being a great example.
xoxo