Thursday, October 6, 2011

Change in the Weather..


broke out the umbrella today. After days and days, and weeks and weeks of warm, sunny, and all together pleasant weather....the temperatures dropped today. Dramatically. 81 degrees this past Saturday and today the high was at 46. With rain, rain, and more rain. It felt colllldddd!!! Funny how when the seasons change you feel it all the more drastically. The cold feels colder, the hot feels hotter. Ya know what I mean.


There was not outside playing today. No friends, scooters, bikes or swings. Nope. I kept my babies bundled and tucked away in the house all day. We only ventured out when we absolutely had to, and the rest of the day found us tucked away nicely inside. In out of the cold.


Our only outing was school. Today was the every other Thursday I talked about. The one where I get to go help in Cars's class. Have I mentioned I love that. It is still new and exciting to me. I love seeing him in his element. With his little friends, in that type of an enviroment. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy to see how well he is doing. Cute kid.

After helping I headed to my mother in laws to pick up the babies, but of course I had to stop for some hot chocolate. First cup of the season. It was lovely. Me all alone in a nice, quiet car, heater blowing on my face, sips of hot chocolate. Hello October.



Then it was back home for us...ahhh, the coziness. Anybody else used to wake up on cold mornings and sit on your heater with a blanket. Trapping all that warm air around you. I used to, and now my kids do. And that makes me smile.



It was a perfect day for art projects...the kind with brightly colored construction paper.



Perfect day for cuddling up with your best stuffed whale and watching a few of your favorite cartoons.



Perfect day for a few puzzles with your brothers.




And if you are the mama, it is the perfect day for a little pantry/fridge clean out. You know where you take everything out, scrub it down, and then neatly put things away in an organized manner. And then your 3 year old comes over 5 minutes later for a pack of Phineas and Ferb fruit snacks and all the sudden your pantry is messed up again. How do they do that. Oh well...looked nice for a minute.


And of course, comfort food is a given on cold rainy days. Made up a batch of my mom's rice pudding.


Oh, how I love that stuff. The little dash of cinnamon. I swear eating a warm bowl of it is like therapy for your soul. True comfort food.


First chilly day of the season calls for what else but chilli for dinner. Chilli and biscuits with homemade jam. It was a good food day.


I think I like myself some rainy days...at least for now I do.

5 comments:

Genn said...

our biscuits with homemade jam and chili looked so good!
wow it really was chilly in your neck of the woods!! we had some rain his week but it stayed in the 60's. I hear it is supposed to be 100 by monday!! ugh ugh and ugh.
so fun that you get to help out in the classroom a couple times a month.
stay warm out there!!! :)

twiggy&goose said...

Terri, i just have to comment on your little linc's smile. he alway looks like he is in pain when the camra captures him. I am sure its just the age and it just gives me a giggle when i see them. your kids are too cute!! (btw this is echo that works with your mom) I love to read all of your sweet storys about your kids and what is going on in your life!

Eric and Jenny said...

Funny how even though we did not see each other, your day is like a mimic of mine.

I went to Lukey's school, I had hot chocolate, I made peach cobbler (even thought it turned out like crap), and I sat on the heater.

Do you remember in high school how we would sit on the heaters to do our makeup, i loved that. Sometimes I would lay down for just a few minutes and end up falling asleep to the sound of your hair dryer in the bathroom. Oh the good old days, I sure loved them.

Great post, brought back happy memories.....

TW said...

You captured the day and the weather perfectly. I so want some of your Mom's rice pudding right now (her to make it for me though, mine never turns out) and chili is definitely on the menu for tonight. Thanks.

Poor little Carson...I have never heard of such a thing. Aren't we thankful for doctors and dentists...even if we do pay them too much, it is worth it. Have a great weekend...love you tons.

Tiff and Chris said...

Hmmm, I think I need the recipe for that rice pudding. It looks awesome!