and I mean that in the nicest, cutest, sweetest way possible. But it's true...this boy's mouth is now full of metal.
Doesn't this kind of stuff usually happen in Junior High?? Seems he is a bit young to be joining this band wagon, but joining it he is. Here's the story:
About a year ago at Carson's dentist appointment his dentist told me we needed to watch one of his molars. It was basically sinking into his gums. The tooth usually sits attached to ligaments surrounding the gums, well Cars had 1 molar that had been knocked out of the ligaments and was fusing itself to the bone. Causing it to sink into his gums. This particular molar doesn't fall out for another 6-7 years or so, however the molar next to it is coming in a bit crooked and will eventually overlap the sinking molar. Don't really want to wait for his sinking tooth to fall out cause by that point it could be lost in there and would require some surgery to retrieve it. So we watch it the dentist said. If it gets worse we pull it.
Now we go back 6 months later, and imagine my surprise when the dentist tells me that THREE of his molars are doing this. What the...what? He said this is usually caused by some kind of trauma to the tooth. Well I can think of a whole list of traumatic teeth events had this been Lincoln, but Cars....I can't think of one thing that could have affected 3 of his molars like that. Makes no sense. Regardless, 3 molars are in trouble.
We don't want to have to pull them yet, so what we did do is space maintainers or retainers. One on the top, and one on the bottom. A bracket surrounds each molar and then clasps to the other side. Trying to keep those babies in place. They will stay in for a year or two then he probably has to get those 3 teeth pulled.
Fun stuff...right.
My brave boy...didn't even phase him. I think he was actually kinda excited about it. I have a permanent retainer on my bottom teeth. I got it after my braces and will always have it. I think Carson thinks it is cool that he and I both have one.
They gave him laughing gas just to make sure he was calm and good to go. I tell you what, he sure had me laughing. If any of you know Carson's little voice it is naturally high pitched, well now imagine him on this gas. What a loon. He was watching "The Lion King"...and well, I have never heard Circle of Life sung quite like that. He was so loud, so pitchy and goofy. He kept hysterically laughing at random parts, LOUD mind you. I was trying so hard to not laugh at him, but it was pretty dang funny.
Here he is trying to give you a glimpse of the top and bottom retainers. Look close and you can see that flash of silver. I was afraid it was going to make him talk funny at first, but it didn't. Not at all. Doesn't bother him or anything, so thats good.
So that was that, now don't even get more started on Lincoln's dental visit. Carson has had one cavity in his little life. Lincoln is surpassing him....we will just leave it at that. Got to love that dentist.
3 comments:
Gotta love the dentist don't we. No that is now true I hate it. Way to costly in my family. How about yours. Cute little Carson I'm so glad he did ok with it. That stuff can be kind of scarry, but not for Carson he is so brave.
Yikes I have like a fear of the dentist it was bad enough just worrying about myself but now tack on all the kids and just send me to an early grave.
I am laughing thinking of Cars on laughing gas, I bet it was really something. I bet you were so glad he wasn't nervous or anything that makes those kinds of things so much easier.
Tell Cars metal mouth is cool now he can join the club of him mom and aunties!
love the dentist but not when he finds cavities, costly lil buggers :)
Post a Comment