Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Let's Plant

May brings three main events for me. Mother's Day, my anniversary and my heavens.....flowers!! Flowers, flowers, flowers...such a lovely event we must say it three times. I tell ya friends, I live for May. I can't even tell you how my heart seriously sings when I pull out those pots and dig into that soil for the first time. Euphoria...complete euphoria!!! Last week was planting day. It was lovely.
To start the day out, I had to run Carson over to the elementary school for his end of the year testing. We had been practicing and reviewing all weekend long, and he had that stuff down. I wasn't allowed in the room while he was testing obviously, but when he got done his teacher told me how well he had done. Her exact words were "he blew that out of the water". My mama heart was proud, so what does a mama do when her heart is proud?? She buys her boy his favorite treat. Doughnuts. Doughnuts put an extra pep in our step...got us good and ready for planting day.
Let the fun begin. Meet Ashley, little Miss Green Thumb, my mom is the original green thumb, Ashley is her apprentice. And lucky me, the apprentice comes to help me. I wish I could say I was a natural at things like this. I try my dangdest, I fake it, I copycat, I give it my all but in the end I don't have a natural knack for it. Years of practice have made me decent, but Ashley is just a natural. Her pots seriously look like professionals. She is constantly getting asked where she bought them and how much they cost, and she proudly states she just did them herself. So yeah, I make her help me.
Here's another special little helper. Although lets be honest, his help wasn't appreciated quite the same way. Lets just say Drake wishes he was one with the dirt. No matter what was going on, no matter how many toys I brought out for him, he went straight for the dirt. EVERY. TIME. Can we say annoying...
We stopped for a little lunchbreak.
Then there is this boy. This is right up his alley. He was glued to Ashley's side the entire time. He would ever so carefully peel the flowers from their containers, gently break up their roots, hand them to Ashley, sprinkle the food, refill her watering can. They were perfect little partners. He soaked up every minute of it. This boy is a lover of the finer things in life. He knows beauty, that is for sure.
This boy. Not the case. He spent the day in a typical, crazy Lincoln boy kinda way. Until he stepped on a sticker. Maybe he should keep his shoes on. Regardless, he did indeed step on one. It was rough, for all of us. The kid knows how to cry and carry one. Poor baby.
Here it is, Drake's big moment of the day. Someone found his way, right smack in the middle of not just dirt, wet dirt. Right in front of the hose. He found it, sat in it, played in it, threw it in his hair, all before his mother could catch him. I turned the corner, took one look, muttered to myself and went to find my camera. Little stink.
By the end of the day, Drake wasn't the only one covered in dirt from head to toe. We all were. However the end result was well worth it.
There you have it friends. My babies for the next 5 months. They bring me much work and stress, but oh so much happiness. Welcome summer.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Your flowers look beautiful. Do you and Ashley want to come to my house now that yours is done. =)

Eric and Jenny said...

Lovely just lovely.

My favorite part of the day would have been the doughnuts but you know the flowers look nice too!

Good thing you have Ash around for help, I promise you next year is the year for me! Scratch that not next year I will be moving......the year after for sure!

The Mashy Family said...

I love planting my flowers too it is like therapy!! I love how they just brighten everything up. I do however hate the cost of flowers ever year especially when we only get to enjoy them for such a short time. Oh well right they may be worth it?! Your yard looks great as usual. Could u come up and work on mine too?