Friday, December 18, 2009

My Tiny Tots...

No pictures to go along with this, but still wanted to write it down. I took Lincoln in for his 1 year old well-check and it went pretty well. I have been a little nervous about this appointment, cause I see the same thing happening with Lincoln in the weight category as Carson. Carson was always small but he hit 1 year old and started dipping further and further on the charts until he was in the negative percentiles. Phrases such as "failure to thrive" and "unacceptable growth rate" are no strangers to me. I have heard this Carson's whole life. At first it really bothered me, I got really offended and bugged when people would comment on how small he is. However, you take one look at me...especially when I was that age and it is no wonder he is the way he is. He comes from small genes, at least from my side of the family. Carson has always been strong, healthy, and active and my mothers intuition has always told me that he is fine. And although he is small, he follows his own growth curve and me and his doctor are both confident that all is well.

When Lincoln first started out, I was so excited to see some skin on his bones and those chubby little cheeks. I thought maybe this time I wouldn't have such a picky little eater who struggles to gain weight. And while Lincoln eats better than Carson ever has, I still have noticed his growth starting to slow. For his nine month appointment he dipped below his growth curve and the doctor said we would watch it. So Monday when I took him in I was anxious to see his weight....17 pounds 3 oz. Not great. He has only gained a pound and a half in almost 4 months. It dipped him again on his curve which puts him in the "failure to thrive" category. I hate those words....makes me feel incomptent and as if I am not caring properly for my children. One more dip on his curve and they start to run blood work and all that to make sure it is not an underlying health problem. I know this is not the case and my doctor knows it too, he just has to mention it to me and watch it.

So other than that, he looked great. His height and head circumfrence and all of his little motor skills, heart...all of that was perfect. Just a little on the small side. Like I said I know he is fine, you just hate sitting there having them say things like that. Thiago says he is grateful that our kids are pulling more towards me and not his side of the family. Much rather them struggle with not being able to gain then the opposite. Just you watch though I will probably get these super tiny little boys and then a big, broad girl just like her dad. Haha. Either way I sure do love my tiny little fellas, and am so very grateful for their healthy, active little bodies. I know their are so many other children who struggle with things far more serious than "failure to thrive" and my heart goes out to them and their parents. So anyways just a little Lincoln update, will post again after his 15 mo. appointment. Keep your fingers crossed that he has had a growth spurt.

3 comments:

Eric and Jenny said...

I know it's easier not being my own child to see don't worry about it....but I really think don't worry about it especially where you have already been through this with Cars. It's funny how some things just run in families like my kids doctors are always saying what big heads they have compared to the rest of their bodies. But for me I have never really worried because hello Eric has a big head, he can't even find hat sizes that fit him...trust your mother's instinct it is most always right.

Plain Jame said...

Honey, I hate charts. Freaking "guidelines". They are the bane of my existence. Mostly because of the "one size fits all" mentality, and where someone falls below or above the average we feel abnormal. The good news: most people have something that isn't perfect about them - so what is really NORMAL??

TW said...

He looks plenty healthy to me...it all evens out over the years. One thing I know for sure...you are a great Mommy!!!