Thursday, December 10, 2009

Streets are aglow!


One of our family's favorite things to do together during the month of December is to drive around and look at the lights. My love for this started when I was young, I remember me and my mom and sisters piling in the car with blankets and heading out. We used to stop at Burger Bar (in Layton, when it was still there) and get peppermint shakes to eat as we drove around. Just us girls, talking and laughing. Great memories. Luckily, my own little family enjoys this just as much as I do. Here is a picture of our cute house all lit up.


Oh, this boy... I just love him so much. I love his excitement, this kid makes anything fun. He is such a joy to us, especially during this Christmas season. His excitement over it all just radiates out of him. I love seeing this season through a child's eyes. He just was going crazy back there, exclaiming and jumping up and down over every set of lights. So magical, just kept looking over at my husband and smiling together at our little boy.


My sweet Bujaou. Talked to himself for the first 20 minutes or so and then before we knew it he was out. Sound asleep.



Honey and I know how to plan a fun night. We put a lot of thought and prep work into this little outing. I found the most delicious hot chocolate recipe on Studio 5 the other day, and just had to try it out. Bought all the ingredients and we made it the other night as we were watching Home Alone. Theo and I decided it would be fun to make some for us to drink as we drove around. Carson is not a fan, so we made some just for the two of us. I got the kids bathed, Theo made the hot chocolate and we were good to go. I even bought us some little styrofoam cups to keep it warm. Yum!



Don't mind me in this picture, I cleaned all day and never bothered to get ready. So here I am in all my glory (absolutely no makeup, hair not done, heck I was lucky to get my teeth brushed).

Thiago and I were talking about our love for this Christmas season. This was instilled in me as a kid, both my parents are huge into Christmas. Especially my Williams side of the family, I have so many wonderful memories tied into this time of year. I am so grateful that my husband feels the same way. We try to just jampack our December with little activities and outings that invite the Christmas spirit. It has never been about the gifts for me. Its the little things.....reading Christmas stories with my kids at night, taking my treasured ornaments out of their boxes (each one having its own story. Turning off all the lights in the house, except for my sparkling Christmas lights and sipping a cup of hot chocolate, blasting the Christmas music in the car with my 4 year old and seeing who can sing along the loudest. No, its never been the gifts. It is that magical feeling in the air, the busy streets and smiling people, the colors, the cold, the anticipation of it all. Most of all it is gathering my little loved ones around me, another year to look back on and just be grateful. Grateful to be alive, grateful for the little baby Jesus and his precious birth. For all that it stands for. Christ, he is the reason behind the season.

7 comments:

Taylor's mom said...

I honsetly love how much you guys plan and do things together. Tyson would have laughed at that idea. I'm on a hot chocolate kick as well. Fun Fun

Yvonne [Tried and Tasty] said...

Ok, you know I want that hot chocolate recipe!! Steve and I have been trying so many different ones and I haven't really "loved" any of them! If you don't mind emailing it to me? Freeman_55@mac.com. Also, what a fun little tradition, I love lights too - I never thought about just driving around to look at them, how cozy with all the blankets?!?

TW said...

Traditions...nothing like them. Glad the cute little Cano family is enjoying this holiday season. Love you!!!

Eric and Jenny said...

That hot chocolate I have got to have me some of that, tonight we are driving around looking at houses only I was going to stop at Chevron, now that just seems second rate...

Ashley and Devan said...

You guys are so cute with your homemade hot chocolate. And you look beautiful with no makeup.. not fair!
I also love driving around and looking at all the different houses and lights. What a cute little tradition you have going on!

Clemments Family said...

Such a sweet post. Its so true! I totally remember doing the same thing as a child and I love it, its something we also now as a family.

The Carnahan's said...

I love Christmas light too, they are the best! Looks like a lot of fun, especially with your hot chocolate! Those cups are darling! You'll have to put the recipe on your blog, I love hot chocolate!