Sunday, July 3, 2011

Fruit of our Labors

Alright, are you ready for this...

Look what I did.



I turned this...


into this. Yeah, strawberry jam. Me, I did it. Shocking I know. As most of you know baking isn't really my thing. I make dinner for my family every night but thats more because I think that is what a good mom should do, not because I enjoy it. So let me tell you how proud I am of this jam. Holy domestication. Look at me. Look at what I did.

Let me walk you through the process...cause that is what I do. This is definitely blog worthy.



Started with the picking. Me and Cars. My fingers were stained red when I got done and my arms got a little scratched up, but well worth it.



Lincoln mainly just sat there and ate them as fast as we could pick them. He loves himself a strawberry.


Ooh, la, la...look at those little beauties.


When we moved in we basically ripped everything out that was in our flower beds and planted what we wanted instead. However, I thought the strawberries would be kinda fun so we left those be. Plus, they look quite pretty in the backyard. So glad we did. We all kinda love it.


Ashley is the queen of domestication. So I bargained with her. If she would come help me, I would share the outcome with her. She was all over that. She loves this kinda thing. We bought a few small containers of berries at the store (just to make it worth our effort) and we went to work. We washed and sliced them.




Then we smashed and smashed. That was my favorite part. Kinda fun.


See how happy it made me.


And Carson liked it too.


Then comes the water, sure-jell, and sugar...then you let it set up.



In the meantime the kids entertain themselves by...


building towers,


eating the berries,


and taking little naps (only if you are the baby).


And there you have it. 23 containers of strawberry freezer jam. Yep, I am the best. At least Thiago and Carson think so. They are big fans of strawberry jam.


Yay for me and my jam!

3 comments:

Eric and Jenny said...

How gorgeous does Drake look in that color of yellow, Ash looks darling too, and heck you do too! It was a good day for all of you. Glad to see you let Ash have most the credit because we both know she deserves ALL the credit. Love ya, we missed you so much today, wasn't the same. I don't like that I won't see you tomorrow either. It's just not right, I don't know who it's hitting harder me or Lance!

The Mashy Family said...

I have a love hate relationship with making jam. I hate the mess and the time it takes to make it but I love the outcome. Fun family time for you guys and worthwhile. I have to laugh a little at you Teri. Only you and Ash would doll yourself up for jam making day. I would be in my scrubs and t-shirt. You two make me laugh. I guess if you can't look cute, have some fun, and hang out with your sister while making jam that why do it!!! Hope your weekend was grand!

Genn said...

I'd say yay for you and your jam!
Holy domestication... that made me laugh my friend!
You all look so cute doing your strawberry mashin!
How wonderful to have all those berries in your yard!! We planted a tiny little strawberry plant this spring and every time we get ONE berry, our dog eats it!
Your jam looks fabulous, and I bet it tastes even better,