Sunday, November 6, 2011

"Free" Sunday



Remember me saying that our first snow storm of the season was on its way. Well look, it happened. It snowed...and it stuck. Woke up Saturday morning to a world of white. It was actually quite pretty. So many of the leaves are still on the trees, so it made for these huge, puffy, white covered trees. It felt all "holidayish" on my way to work Saturday morning. I was wearing a warm, fuzzy sweater, the winter wonderland everywhere I looked and I officially heard my first Christmas song on the radio. Kinda early, but still made this girl smile.

Now, onto today. My ward had stake conference today which in the Cano house means "free" Sunday. I have a hard enough time keeping my children well behaved in a 1 hour sacrament meeting, let alone a 2 hour session of stake conference. We usually skip out on this week. Terrible, but true. Turns out it was a perfect day to have nothing on our agenda. We quite enjoyed ourselves.


Started out with powder sugar pancakes for breakfast, or as Carson likes to call them "the pancakes you roll up". I ate 1, Thiago ate 2, Lincoln ate 1 1/2 and Carson at like 5. That kid LOVES these things.


I love lazy mornings at home with all of us there. I am truly so grateful for my easy peasy work schedule. All day Fridays (mother in law watches kids) and then my couple of hours on Saturdays (kids stay home with dad). Works out really well with baby sitting and all, the only bummer is we all rarely get the chance to just be at home together. It was so nice to just hang around and do nothing.

Except look at toys online with dad (ya know, for Christmas)


Drake, bare foot with a big ol' pile of toys.


Gave me the chance to get caught up on some monstrous laundry. Mon-Thurs, when I am at home, I stay up to date on it pretty well. However, that day and a half at work does wonders for my laundry piles. Doesn't take long before you are all the sudden behind.


Showered and put on one of my comfy-coziest outfits. (First self portrait ever taken through a mirror, what do you think?? How did I do?)


Gathered these ingredients and made one of my mama's famous desserts...caramel apple pudding cake. I was hoping and praying that it turned out like hers.


Got a little Lincoln on the side here..what a helper.


No help from Carson. No, he was too busy turning my plate stands into a parking garage for his transformers. Of course, no biggie.


Smelled, looked and tasted just like my moms. I was proud.


Even had a little time to pick up my book. Thank you day light savings, for that extra hour.


We had the Phongsavath's over for dinner.


Ash and I had talked early in the week about our menu. We wanted something warm and comforting. Like poppyseed chicken or lasagna. The men wanted steak. Needless to say we lost the battle. So we grilled. In the cold. And the snow. Weird. Still good, but kinda weird.


At least our dessert was all warm and festive. With brown sugar, apples, cinnamon, nutmeg and freshly whipped cream, how could ya go wrong. Yum.



Little ones sure do have fun.


And Sunday Night Football for these two...and a baby Drake. He's happy to just be alive, doesn't matter what he's doing...he is just happy.


Ended the night, with a visit from Thiago's family...who brought with them a sourcream blueberry pie. Uh-oh. I love that pie. Two desserts for me in one day. Guess I had better be a good girl tomorrow.

I think I like myself a free Sunday every now and then.

5 comments:

Eric and Jenny said...

Well your day sounds perfect!

How can I get my husband on board for free Sunday, you know him we would never dream of missing Stake Conference. In fact this last time I was so darn glad Katelynn was sick requiring me and her to stay home!

You did great for a self portrait, much better than I ever do. It's so tricky huh?

Glad your day was great, see staying home can be fun sometimes, nice and relaxing.

Genn said...

Glad you enjoyed your free day! Everybody needs that now and again.
Cute cute cute self portrait. You are so teeny tiny!
I can't believe you had snow, how fun.
I bet the kids were excited!
I think grilling outside when it is really cold sounds more fun than grilling when it is really hot.
How's that book? Isn't that the one jenn read and loved? I just started a good one too.

Happy Monday, hope it's a great week for you Teri.

The Mashy Family said...

So coming over for a piece of that deliciousness I love that cake of your moms could u bring that to thanksgiving? Love love free Sunday's I hate stake conference actually and glad to hear others hate wrestling kids too. U got my vote to stay home on those days. I swear I may be held accountable for that one day but I guess if that is all I am them I will feel lucky.

Clemments Family said...

Oops, I commented on the wrong one. This is the perfect Sunday.

Nick and Stacey said...

Love it! Its posts like these that sure make me miss that snow...the idea of snow outside and nowhere to go sounds just delightful! No matter what is going on at your house it alwyas looks like a wonderful time! Where can I get that comfy outfit? You look super cute!